Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird Migration started early this year
It seems some of the North American birds have started migrating early this year. There is talk of a hard winter to come. Now it seems that it might come early too. There are subtle clues that tell birds it is time to travel. They must be responding to something that we don't fully recognize.

https://www.pembinavalleyonline.com/loca...on-to-come

I am going to be interested to see if winter really is early. I already have leaves dropping from my trees. Squirrels are working frantically to put away food. I think early bird migration might be the final signal that it is time to prepare for a long hard winter.
I know I feel a strong urge to prepare for a long hard winter. There is some signal we are sensing. 

As much as I will miss them,  I would rather see the birds leave early and be safe in a warm country.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I would say that definitely looks like a sign that the winter will start early. They are not stupid.
In England, the arrival of the Starlings signals the beginning of winter. They haven't arrived yet and probably won't for at least a few weeks. But I will watch out to see if they are early.
(That's when I have to move my car....or they cover it with "icing" lol!)
The arrival of Starlings is a sign of winter? Where are they coming from. Most of our birds leave for the winter. The arctic birds pass through this area on their way south. The starlings and sparrows stay here all year round. That might be because cities have food and shelter for birds all year round. Birds get in behind lighted signs and under eaves of heated houses. Some of them move into the subway system. The really lucky birds find a way to get into the heated  greenhouse type buildings at the zoo. They are huge and they are already free flight areas for birds. Sparrows make themselves right at home.

It is funny that you have to move your car. Starlings can make quite a mess.

We shall have to watch for signs of winter coming. We are in an almost heat wave again. It is not as hot as earlier in the summer, but it feels just as hot. Today, winter seems forever away. So why are the squirrels franticly hiding food. They are acting like winter could happen any time. I don't think so, but there are still signs that summer is over.
Catherine

Our Starlings migrate from the Baltic, Russia, and Scandinavia. They get a cold winter here but not half as bad as they'd get where they have come from!
Many of our birds do migrate south, like the Swallows. There are many others, but I am not well educated about them all! But Starlings are an obvious sign of winter. They usually arrive late October/November.

Yes we have had warm weather here too recently.
Of course being an island England has a more moderate climate. It still seems funny to think of birds like starlings migrating to your shores.

I am watching for signs of bird migration here. It could be a warm autumn so some birds might stay longer. 
Our sign of winter is the Robins flying south. They like it here, but when winter comes they will be gone. They do it secretively. One day you just notice they are gone.

Keep us posted on your starlings
Catherine