Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet deaths linked to Pet Smart grooming
There have been a number of dog deaths linked to grooming at Pet Smart Stores. There are a number of breeds involved, but it is more often the dogs with short flat faces, the ones that are prone to breathing problems. These dogs seem to have more trouble. At least 47 animals have died right after grooming. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/09/24..._23540229/

Pet Smart does groom a large number of animals so this may not be a high percentage. However for the people who lost a beloved pet the loss is 100%. There should be no deaths from dog grooming. It should not be a traumatic procedure.
If the methods used are resulting in animal deaths then the store needs to review its methods. It needs to review its staff and their training. No dogs should die from being groomed.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is a high number. Not just the occasional one or two. Something is terribly wrong. The best advice to offer would be don't take your dog to Pet Smart for grooming.

I wonder if the high number, and the particular types of dogs involved have something to do with the way they are restrained while being groomed? That might be very dangerous with dogs who have breathing difficulties.

There needs to be a major inquiry and Pet Smart should completely suspend those services until it's sorted. Then Pet Smart needs to be 100% sure their staff are fully qualified and experienced.

My feelings....
1. We should never have bred dogs with these issues in the first place.
2. We should learn to "groom" our own dogs. It's not rocket science.

I am very sorry this happened to those dogs. And to their families.
The number seemed high to me. You are right, Pet Smart should stop its grooming and do a major review. Why are dogs dying?
Losing one dog is sad, but things can happen. Losing many and in particular losing certain types of dogs is a warning that something is wrong.

The restraining method could be part of it. Also the way they dry the dogs. The dogs are dried in drying rooms where they can get over heated.  Heat stress kills, especially if the animal has breathing issues.

I agree, basic grooming should be part of owning a dog.  If you can't groom your own dog then you should have a personal relationship with your dog's groomer. The person should know you and know your dog. That way more care will be taken to protect your dog from harm.

Grooming is too important and personal to be left to a big box store like Pet Smart.
Catherine

(09-26-2018, 03:24 PM)Catherine Wrote: The restraining method could be part of it. Also the way they dry the dogs. The dogs are dried in drying rooms where they can get over heated.  Heat stress kills, especially if the animal has breathing issues.

I agree, basic grooming should be part of owning a dog.  If you can't groom your own dog then you should have a personal relationship with your dog's groomer. The person should know you and know your dog. That way more care will be taken to protect your dog from harm.

Yes the heat in those drying rooms could be the cause, or the air blowing. Those short-nosed dogs are very sensitive to things other dogs would be okay with.

I know someone who has to take her dog to the groomer as she has mobility problems, is alone, and can't manage it herself.
But she has known the groomer a long time and trusts her. Yes that's different.

But some people drop off their dogs in the morning, like they would drop off a load of laundry, or a grocery order (!) and pick them up later -sometimes after work. That is hours. Pet Smart is such a big chain, like a huge supermarket and may be convenient for them and is a name they have heard of.
We put too much trust in "household names", thinking "they must know what they are doing".
If we dig a little deeper we'll find many household names and brands have done things we wouldn't wish to support.

If Pet Smart doesn't close that grooming service until an inquiry is completed and the cause for those deaths found, then they lose all credibility. And should be avoided.
I already don't respect Pet Smart for other reasons. In stead of denying responsibility, they should be taking the lead in finding out what is wrong. At very least they should make changes in their grooming practices.

It is safer to find a real dog groomer and always take your dog there. It doesn't have to be done too often so it is better to take time and find a good groomer. It might be convenient to go the Pet Smart, but it is not worth the risk.
Catherine

I've never had a dog that needed that level of grooming last dog I owned was a shetland sheepdog and I used to groom her myself I haven't owned a dog for over 20 years but I was experienced with them,it's harder if you have a dog that needs clipping.
I can see that some dogs need clipping, but some of the dogs that died were short haired breeds. People should have been able to care for them at home. Also, how much drying does a short haired dog need. If these dogs are dying at the groomer's something is very wrong in the way they are handling the dogs.
Catherine

A dog with short hair shouldn't need grooming that's just laziness or snobbery.
Quote:A dog with short hair shouldn't need grooming that's just laziness or snobbery.
It is probably a bit of both. I can't understand why people are still taking a chance with their pets when the word is out about the grooming related deaths.
Catherine