Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiolaria -intricately beautiful skeletons!
Radiolaria (or sometimes called "Radiolarians") are single-celled creatures (Protozoa) usually measuring 0.1 - 0.2mm. They have existed since the pre-Cambrian age, and still exist today, though many have now gone extinct.
[Image: radiolaria_2.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiolaria

Quoted from Wikipedia "Protozoa"
"....Historically, the protozoa were regarded as "one-celled animals", because they often possess animal-like behaviors, such as motility and predation, and lack a cell wall, as found in plants and many algae. Although the traditional practice of grouping of protozoa with animals is no longer considered valid, the term continues to be used in a loose way to identify single-celled organisms that can move independently and feed by heterotrophy....."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protozoa

In the nineteenth century, Ernst Haeckel, German biologist, naturalist, philosopher, physician, professor, marine biologist, and artist sketched the intricate and incredible skeletal forms of Radiolaria.

The short video below really shows how beautiful they are!

I can't believe how beautiful they are. It is amazing to  think of living beings all around us too small to be seen,  but  more beautiful than we can imagine.

The world is a much more complex place than we realize. Life is more complex. These are ancients lifeforms yet they are still with us unchanged after millions of years.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes they are beautiful aren't they?
I only learned about them last night.
Now I can't stop watching that little video! Smiley4
I can't believe how ancient they are. They have been around and they have been beautiful since the dawn of time. 
I love the intricate patterns. They are a bit like snow flakes and yet very different. 
I want to trace the patterns and find a way to use them as decorations and designs.

It is funny that they have been around us all our lives and we didn't know they were there. We still can't see them, but we know they are there somewhere. I love looking at them too.
Catherine

They would make the most incredible silver or white gold filigree jewelry, encrusted with tiny diamonds. But I can't imagine how to make that!
They would make amazing patterns for jewelry. We already use patterns from nature, I wonder how we missed these.

Think of them as embroidery patterns too. They could be beautiful. I don't embroider, but I can think about how they would look.
If the patterns were used to make wood cuts you could stamp them on many things. They might be too intricate for stencilling, but it would be fun to try.
Catherine