Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hanoi to ban dog and cat meat!
This is a victory. Hanoi plans to ban dog and cat meat and to encourage the rest of Vietnam to do the same. This is big. Vietnam  slaughters over 5 million cats and dogs annually. Changing to a complete ban is a big breakthrough for animals.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/time-...eat-trade/

This is all part of wanting to modernize the country. That is a good thing. Respecting traditions is fine, but when the tradition involves cruelty to animals it is time for a change. If Hanoi makes the change then it can influence other cities. Eventually the whole country will ban dog and cat meat. The more places in the area that make the ban the easier it will be to influence others to make the ban as well.  Some day the dog meat industry will be just a memory.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I hadn't seen this before. Good news, indeed.
This is such good news.

How much of a "tradition" is it anyway? I can understand a thing like that in times of extreme starvation or crop failure etc. But I question if it's a "tradition" at all!
Even if it is, it is good to hear of that ban. Modernising the country....well, even if that is at the core of it, good.

When will we hear of a government deciding to do something just because of compassion or kindness? No other reason.
Quote: When will we hear of a government deciding to do something just because of compassion or kindness? No other reason.
Probably never, but I don't think that matters. I am just glad they are doing the right thing.

This is an issue I have thought about a lot. Does it matter why people do things? Yes and no, but maybe more no.
A person who is doing something very bad, but has good motives, is still doing something very bad. I don't think any good motivation can justify something like torturing a dog to death. 

You will probably recognize the quote by T. S. Eliot: The last temptation is the [b]greatest treason: to do the right[/b] deed for the [b]wrong reason[/b].

After many years of reflection on the issue, I don't agree with T.S. Eliot. I don't think a clean motive fixes a bad action and I don't think a bad motive negates a good action. 

Cruelty done in the name of goodness is still cruelty. Cruelty done in the name of tradition is still cruelty.
Mercy to animals done with the motive of modernizing a country, is still mercy to animals. Sure I wish they would wake up and see that the dog meat industry is cruel and reject it for that reason alone. If they are willing to reject it for other reasons, that is good enough and the dog's lives are still saved.
Catherine

Well said Catherine.
I have always known that quotation form TS Eliot. My mother used to say that. But I have never thought about it in the way you describe, so appreciate what you wrote.

You are so right. It doesn't really matter why a thing is done if it brings about good results!

And yes, there are many people with impeccable ideals who cause suffering to others.

I am so glad to know that now many dogs and cats who will  be saved from torture. What they are put through has to be one of the most barbaric psychotic things I have ever heard of.
My hope is that it spreads to the whole country. If a country like Vietnam can give up eating dog meat, then other countries could follow them. This is a real breakthrough. If their reasons are that they want to be more modern that is good enough. 
The desire to stop animal cruelty is part of being more modern.  We have changed our thinking towards animals in so many ways.

We will all feel better when we know the dog meat industry is shut down for good. It is impossible not to have some level of distress just knowing how much cruelty takes place.
Catherine