Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK dog walkers, beware of deadly toxin!
Recently, a large number of dogs have died in the UK after ingesting a toxin washed up on Britain's beaches.
The poison is in large white waxy lumps, and it is said to be solidified palm oil, but there seems to be some idea that it could be a solidified cleaning fluid, which has been jettisoned into the water at sea. It is thought the oil has washed up on Britain's coastline after the recent storms. The white waxy lumps have also been discovered on the banks of tidal rivers, all over the UK.

The toxin acts quickly, causing vomiting and pain, then kidney and liver failure.

Advice for dog walkers is to keep dogs on a tight leash if walking on beaches is unavoidable. Otherwise, choose different walking-areas.

There is a clean-up supposed to be taking place, but even small amounts of this substance can be deadly (a miniature Schnauzer died from ingesting a marble-sized lump.)

There is some of the story here:
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/De...story.html

This is happening not only in Devon, but in other coastal areas, even Wales, Essex, etc.
This is terrible. I hope word gets out so that dog walkers can protect their dogs. Undecided

I hope they find the source so that they can stop it. Do they have any ideas where the poison is coming from? Is it dangerous to other animals or just dogs?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The exact source of this waxy substance is unknown (as far as I've heard) But it is thought to be something thrown overboard somewhere at sea. And with ocean currents bringing in things from as far away as the mid-Atlantic, and beyond, this could be from anywhere.

If it's toxic for dogs, then it's probably toxic for some marine mammals, possibly birds and fish as well. I haven't found any reports of dead marine animals being washed up, large numbers of dead sea birds, or anything like that.

This white substance probably has more of an effect on dogs because they are curious about it, and may be tempted to play with it (thus get it in their mouths) But I don't know if it's tasty and doubt it, as it's said to smell like Diesel.
Dogs tend to eat anything. That may be why it is so dangerous to them. Other animals would smell the stuff and back away.

We have trouble hear with dogs drinking anti freeze if the come across it and of course it is toxic.

The way ocean currents are it would be hard to track. I hope it isn't from toxic waste dump that is leaking. They have dumped lots of things into the ocean in barrels. Somehow that is supposed to make toxic stuff go away and be totally safe. The same as ships dumping stuff at sea. Once they dump it they think it is gone.

What a scary thing. Poison can wash up on a beach from an unknown source. No one knows what it is ad who knows how much more to expect. Who knows how far the stuff will spread.

I hope people are able to protect their dogs.Undecided
Catherine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...paign=1490

That's so horrible. Just an innocent walk on the beach. Poor puppies Sad I love schnauzer's.
I would be so scared if I had a dog. I can't imagine what the poor dog owners are going through.
Catherine

We must also all be very careful about antifreeze. It is very toxic to both cats and dogs, and has an attractive smell and sweet taste. I believe there has been some sort of attempt to get antifreeze producers to add something highly bitter-tasting to it, but I don't know whether that has been successful or not yet. Even a fairly small amount of antifreeze can be deadly.
You are right about antifreeze. It is sweet and dogs lick it up, but even a small amount can be deadly. In hot weather birds and other wild animals will drink it if there is no other water around. Like many toxic products, we need them to put a nasty tasting substance in it for safety reasons. It is also a pretty colour(in Canada it is usually a pretty blue) and there is a risk of a child drinking it.

Many of these products are toxic and should be handled with care and stored safely.

While we are talking toxins....mixing bleach(javel water) and Pinesol(pine oil based cleaners) creates a toxic gas. It is strong enough to kill or damage a small pet who would come in contact with it.
Catherine

Thanks, Tobi! I sent the link to this page to my older son, who often takes his labrador to the beach at the weekend. He was very grateful for the warning!
It's possible this toxic substance has been cleaned up by now, but I have heard no news about clean-up operations on Britain's beaches. And that would have to be very thorough to get even small pieces (such as the marble-sized piece which the little Schnauzer ate) So it's wise to still be careful.
Antifreeze/Coolant is an on-going toxic hazard for dogs and cats (and probably wildlife as well)