Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trivia.
There isn't a word that rhymes with purple.
Research indicates that mosquitoes are attracted to people that have recently eaten bananas.
23% of all photocopier accidents are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their bottoms.
Strawberries contain more vitamin c than oranges.
All hurricanes form over water and last about 10 days.
Fish can get seasick.
The microwave oven was invented after a researcher walked by a radio tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
The mechanical shark in the movie*Jaws* was nicknamed Bruce.
The game Space Invaders was so popular in Japan that it created a coin shortage.
Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards.
Butterflies can taste with their feet.
China's Beijing Duck restaurant can seat 9000 people at one time.
The Hollywood sign was erected in 1923.
On average a four year old child asks 437 questions a day.
Baby African elephants throw themselves headfirst into mud when they are grumpy.
I did not know that nothing rhymes with purple. Nothing rhymes with orange either.

I knew about the microwave and I sort of knew about the butterflies. 
I certainly didn't know that the mechanical shark was called Bruce.  It is funny the little details we don't know.
The grumpy baby elephant trick explains why so many baby elephants get stuck in the mud.
I can believe it about the four year old asking questions.

A couple of funny trivia facts:

Aircraft Black boxes are actually orange

A Jack Rabbit is actually a Hare

Tennessee Williams was actually born in Mississippi.

New Zealand's Ninety Mile beach is actually 55 miles long.

A Prairie Dog is actually a rodent.

The Spanish Flu originated in the USA

Snakes are actually smelling things when they stick their tongues out.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I knew that about the snakes.
Yes, like Catslave, I knew that about snakes, but I didn't know that about Tenessee Wiliams or the Spanish Flu.
Purple and orange ....no rhyming words. I suppose the nearest one can get to a word that rhymes with purple is "turtle" or maybe "kirtle", but that is not a true rhyme.
I like this kind of trivia knowledge thing. Let's see if we can find some more. I will try.
Found some more trivia.

Greenland is the world's biggest island
The Amazon is the world's longest river
The Pacific is the world's largest ocean
The diameter of the earth is 8,000 miles, that is 12,874.75 km

I can't think of anything that rhymes with orange or purple. Maybe we need to invent some new words.
Catherine

When you blush the lining of you stomach also turns red.

Right- handed people on average live nine years longer than left- handed people.

Animals that lay eggs don't have belly buttons.

On average,a cow produces 40 glasses of milk daily.

The 50-metre- long wall that gave New York's Wall street it's name was only 3.5 metres tall.

The Nobel Peace Prize medal depicts three naked men with their hands on each others shoulders.

Each person has a unique tongue print.

In Texas it's illegal to graffiti a cow.
I am wondering why anyone would want to graffiti a cow in the first place.
Now I know why it is called wall street. I thought it was an odd name.
I certainly didn't know about the stomach when you blush, but I did know that lefthanders have problems, even a shorter life. 
It is tough living in a world that is backwards. As a left hander my home is set up left handed and I admit I enjoy watching right handers struggle to do ordinary things because everything is backwards to them.

I bet you didn't know that January 4th is National Trivia Day.

Reed Hasting who founded Netflix was inspired to do so after a $40.00 late fee for renting Apollo 13.

The average Cumulus cloud weighs 1.1 million pounds. (It never occurred to me that clouds weigh anything at all)

The toy Play-Doh was first sold as wall paper cleaner.

A Reindeer's eyes change colour, being blue in the winter and gold in the summer.

Baby porcupines are known as porcupettes. That may be the cutest baby animal name ever.

Sweden is so efficient only 1% of its garbage ends up as landfill. I don't even want to know what my percentage is.

A newborn Blue Whale gains about 200 pounds a day during its first year.

A  contronym is a word that is its own opposite. To seed a lawn is to add seeds. To seed a tomato is to remove seeds.

In case you are curious here is a list of contronyms: 

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/75-cont...-meanings/

We have been using them for years and we didn't know what they were called, or at least I didn't know.
Catherine

I don't wish to be a spoil-sport, but.....I find some of the so-called trivia above not to be trivia, but actually very useful information! For example:

I like bananas, and tend to be attacked by mosquitoes. Now I know why. Thanks, CS!
The effectiveness of Sweden in recycling is an inspiration and could be emulated by other countries. Thanks, Catherine!
Wow....lots more really interesting information in my absence!

I didn't know that your stomach also turns red when you blush, Catslave

I can see why a cumulus cloud weighs 1.1 million pounds Catherine. Remember what we were always taught when we were children: -"A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter". Clouds contain a lot of water.

I had also never heard about "contronyms". So that's fascinating.

Yes I think we could all learn a valuable lesson from Sweden, and how they send very little to landfill.
Personally -so do I. Probably about 1% of my own home waste I send to landfill. But it does mean burning some stuff which I suppose is not good for the environment either....

And as for bananas and mosquitoes LPC...maybe that's why I'm always getting bitten too?  Because I eat bananas quite often?
But harvest mites in the woods give me a harder time than mosquitoes.
I never eat bananas and I never get bitten by mosquitos. 

I somehow wasn't thinking about the water in the clouds. They look so light and fluffy that I tend to think of them as air. I get rained on enough to know better, but I never thought of clouds as having weight.

I love the word contronym. It is one of those cool words that should have existed and it turns out it does.

Sweden does set an example for the rest of us. We can all do better with our garbage. Sweden is already doing better.
Most of what I put out is recycling and organic waste for composting. I only put out garbage when a bag is filled and that isn't once a month. If I have useful items I put them out nicely so other people can help themselves. We are good about that in Toronto. If you have useable things you put them out on the sidewalk in a box and people will help themselves. People have built little book boxes on poles so they can put out books to be shared. 

I will try to give you some less useful trivia.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours.

A flamingo can only eat when its head is upside down.

A snail can have about 25,000 teeth.

A strand from the web of a golden spider is as strong as a steel wire of the same size.

Antarctica is the only continent without reptiles.

In the  Caribbean there are oysters that can climb trees.

It is possible to lead a cow upstairs, but not downstairs.

Ants stretch when they wake up in the morning.

Slugs have 4 noses.

So the challenge is to find any part of that list that is useful to you.
Catherine