Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service dog shortage has people training their own Guide Dogs
Visually impaired people who are used to relying on a guide dog are finding it very difficult to cope with the extended wait time for a new dog.
One woman, Isabel, decided to train her own dog with the help of PAWtected CIC. It took work and commitment to the process, but Lucy, the one year old Labrador became a helpful guide for Isobel. There were some problems at first, but Lucy learned as and guide dog learns.

https://www.bbc.com/news/disability-64175440

PAWtected CIC sounds like a very good resource for a disabled person.
In an ideal world dogs would be available to whoever needs them, when they need them.

https://www.pawtected.co.uk/

Sadly the need for dogs is greater than the number that can be trained.
A home trained do is still better than no dog at all.

Unfortunately Lucy died, but she was a good dog and a helpful dog until her death.
Hopefully Isobel is able to get another dog, even if she has to train it herself.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

A friend of mine her daughter trains guide dogs she used to work at the RSPCA then when she moved away she got a job part time as a kennel maid looking after the guide dogs,she was so good looking after them they promoted her full time to training guide dogs she had to pass an assessment first she loves it,it does take a long time and a lot of money to train them.
Your friend's daughter must be really good with dogs. I have watched documentaries about training guide dogs. It is a lot of work and it takes time.
It is sad that there are never enough dogs for the people who need them. I suppose that there is not enough money, not enough qualified trainers and not enough suitable dogs. 

That would be such a satisfying job. A good guide dog can transform someone's life.

People are desperate enough to try and train their own dogs.
It would be better if we could somehow train more dogs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine