Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullfight protest in southern France
Bullfighting is mainly associated with Spain, where the barbaric slaughter of bulls (previously weakened and in pain by having several spears thrust in their sides) remains fairly widespread. However, it also persists in a few areas in southern France, mostly near the Spanish border. Elsewhere in France, it is thankfully not allowed.

There was another protest in the town of Rodilhan recently. The gendarmes (local police) dealt with the protesters with totally unnecessary force, as the protest was totally peaceful this year. It is not clear why the gendarmes went to such trouble to protect the town from a protest, even barring their way with iron barriers and tear gas. One suspects political pressure behind such a rigid suppression of peaceful protest.

You can read the full story here: https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-n...rench-town

For those who don't know what stages are involved in a bullfight, Wikipedia has a detailed description of the three stages:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish-st...o_de_Varas
The police did seem very aggressive towards the protestors. I suppose after years of a growing movement against bull fighting, it is to be expected that there would be a backlash against the protestors. Sometimes a push back against protestors is an indication that the protestors are having an effect. Pro bull fighting people are probably feeling threatened by the anti bull fighting movement.

I read the Wikipedia page you posted. That is more than I ever wanted to know about bull fighting. 
It is a nasty  business.

One thing I noticed is that the justifications for bull fighting tended to make the point that other animals suffer worse or other blood sports are worse.
If the only defense for an action is that other actions are worse, it is not much of a defense. Defending animal cruelty by pointing out other animal cruelty is absurd. They know they are wrong, but if someone else is more wrong then they are not the "wrongest".  They sound like little kids justifying bad actions by pointing at someone else.

There really is no justification for killing animals for sport. Bull fighting is cruel and it is not even fair. They do things to make sure the bull loses.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine