Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rescue cows greeting new comers at a sanctuary.
I thought it was so good to see cattle responding to being at a sanctuary. Seeing them greet each other is even better.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/rescu...sanctuary/

We underestimate the intelligence and feelings that cows have. When you see them interact you know they are more than we ever let them be.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

How wonderful to see them being themselves, living natural and decent lives! It is so good sanctuaries like this exist for them.

The cows on my neighbouring farm are not too badly off. Many are very much like this. Obviously their life there is not ideal, but I am always glad to see them out in the fields, expressing themselves in a natural way.
Not all farmers in my area are the same though. Someone has cows in a barn all year round.
The farmer nearest to me only takes them inside during the winter (usually November to April.) That is for their own good.
Given a chance cows really are amazing. I am glad some of your neighbours give their cows a life. Why would a farmer keep them inside all year round. I suppose it is easier for the farmer. It isn't fair to the cows though.

I love videos of cows at sanctuaries. They seem to know that they have found a  safe place to live out their lives. Cows are much smarter than we think.
Catherine

Yes cows are smarter and more feeling than we think. They are very nice creatures and often get poor treatment they don't deserve.
They love the sunshine, and to be free in a field. To keep them in a barn all year round is akin to a human being kept in jail with no exercise time.
I have discovered cows (well some anyway) also like music....if you can call my whistling "music". They stopped to listen and went quiet and still. One or two weren't interested, but many were.
Cows deserve to be in a sanctuary where they can live natural decent lives. Thank goodness there are places like that set up by people.
There are a lot more farm animal sanctuaries now. Animals that somehow escape from factory farming end up in sanctuaries. 
Maybe some day that is all that there will be. We will shift away from this massive exploitation of animals for food. 

If they can perfect growing "meat" from a few cow cells then a few cows would be needed to give tissue samples. They could live happy lives unharmed. The grown "meat" would satisfy dietary requirements. It would be a kinder gentler future for all of us.
Catherine