Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do dogs love water and cats hate it?
This is a good question and one I never really thought about. There are some good reasons.
Now that I have read about it I can see why. Cats have different fur and it does soak up water and stay wet. 
When you think about it, dogs have feet more suited to swimming.  

http://mentalfloss.com/article/563105/wh...hate-water

I think the reason given, that cats like to be in control and don't like floating makes sense. Cats are a climbing animal. Being in water would not be natural to a cat. They would climb out of flood waters and cross water on tree branches. 
Dogs would just jump in the water and swim if they needed too. It does seem more natural to them.

I could have posted this in the cats section, but then I would have labeled it "Why do cats hate water and dogs love it?".
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Misty was a dog.
Misty did not like water. She did like to drink it but sometimes even went through phases where she wasn't drinking much (a day or two here or there) and I had to give her liquid with food (meat/fish stock)
She never just jumped into water. She was afraid of it. She didn't mind paddling at the edge -of the sea or a pond etc, but didn't like it at all when the water started to lift her.
I tried to gently show her how not to be afraid, and to swim, but she was too scared so I stopped.
Once she fell in the river, and I saw her swim towards the bank, so she instinctively could swim! That was good to know.
But she was ill the next day. She was so shocked.

She was not afraid of....guns, fireworks, thunder, herds of dangerous huge bullocks....

But she was afraid of water and people swearing.

So not all dogs like water.
Not all cats hate water. I have seen cats play in water.

You are right. You did say Misty did not like water. 

There are always the ones that are different. They follow their own path and do things their own way. Misty was one of those. 
Was Misty from breeds that don't take to water? Some dogs have webbed feet and the right coat and were clearly born to swim.
It is funny she didn't mind guns and thunder and fireworks. Most dogs don't like anything with loud noises. Personally I would be wary of huge bullocks. Misty knew her own mind and I could see her not fearing a bullock. She was quite the dog.
Catherine

A couple of dogs I know hate the water and a cat I know likes it so I don't think it's a given.
You are right. It is a generalization. There is a species of wild fishing cat and tigers are good swimmers and like water.
So much for generalizations.
Catherine