Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bald Eagles fly south for the winter to Canada
It is true, the Bald Eagles fly south to BC for the winter. They gather in the Fraser Valley by the thousands, tens of thousands.
They will winter there and mate and return to the north in the spring. David Hancock, founder of the Hancock Wildlife Foundation has been studying the Eagles for 60 years. He arrives early and puts out salmon to feed any birds that arrive early.
Eagles will eat the salmon who die along the river after spanning. It is a spectacular sight and this year looks like it is going to be a good year.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/incredib...-1.4172092

This is a sight I would love to see. It is a bird watchers dream.
One thought, if anything happens to the salmon and they do not return to span, the Eagles will be left short of food after their long migration flight. If we keep messing with the oceans there will be far reaching consequences.
No doubt the Eagles are a key feature of their northern territory. If their numbers are effected by a decline in the salmon, there will be consequences. I don't think those consequences have been considered when things are being done that effect the salmon migration. Farmed Atlantic Salmon and oil tankers are just two ways the salmon are being impacted. There are others
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That would be a sight to see.
Can you imagine that many eagles at once. I was thrilled when I saw three at once.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine