Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family dog shot and left to die
A beautiful black lab named Remi was found in a ditch suffering from a gun shot wound. Quite possibly it was a hunter who shot him. Whoever did it, left him to suffer. Sadly even though he was alive when he was found, he did not survive.

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/he-was-such-sweetheart-resident-asks-hunters-safe-after-finding-dog-shot-in-ditch-1.4921415

This is not the first incident of an animal being shot in Saskatchewan or other parts of the country.  Hunters and other people using fire arms need to be careful about what they are firing at. There is no way Remi could be mistaken for a deer. He is a black dog. If he was shot by accident, the person should not have left him to suffer. That person knows what they did. If they have any integrity they should come forward and admit their mistake. Of course someone out there shooting dogs probably doesn't have a lot of integrity.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Poor Remi. I am so sorry about what happened to him, and his family must be grieving very much.

Bless his Soul.

Hunting is or should be, a highly disciplined thing. It's hard to say if the person who shot Remi did it by accident, deliberately, or if they were even aware they had hit him. Sometimes if one shoots, and misses, then it can be hard to tell where that bullet went.
I do know that in certain light conditions, and especially with trees, hedges, and brush as background, then it can be hard to see a black animal. Many are the times I've gone into a field and am half way across it before I see a few black Bullocks close to a hedge.
I am not defending the shooter, but it could have been an accident and they weren't even aware what had happened... I don't know.
But stray shots always concern me too, as there is a lot of shooting where I live and where I walk.
I understand that when someone is shooting in an inhabited area they are responsible for where their bullet goes. They are not supposed to just fire. They are supposed to have a clear target in sight. Rustling in the bushes is not enough. That could be anything. The hunter is supposed to be sure of his target and is supposed to be sure that no animal is left wounded.

If the dog was hit by mistake it should have been helped. If it was deliberately shot the person should not have left it to suffer.
There is too much careless use of firearms. Occasionally people get shot. IU didn't see them is not an excuse. If they didn't see then what were they shooting at.

Whatever the reason, Remi was a beautiful dog with years of life ahead of him and he did not deserve to die like that.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine