Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning about birds and self cleaning ovens
This warning was passed on to me. Three beautiful birds are dead because of the fumes from a self cleaning oven. Their owner followed all the safety instructions for birds and they still died.
Please pass this on so other bird people can be forewarned.
RIP little ones. Let your deaths at least be a warning to save others.  

This is a copy of her message: (I have chosen to omit her name and just copy the text.)

The potential of someone else having their pet bird die is more important than my embarrassment which is why I'm choosing to post this.

Tonight I accidentally killed my pet diamond doves by using the self-cleaning feature on my oven. I've had pet birds for 43 years, including canaries, parakeets, four types of exotic finches, and two types of doves. I've lived in several homes and cleaned ovens dozens of times, but never with a fatality.
The user guide to my oven has a small warning that only states, "The health of some birds is extremely sensitive to the fumes given off during the self-cleaning cycle of any range. Move birds to another well-ventilated area."
I'm familiar with those warnings and I took those precautions. My kitchen window was open. The exhaust and ceiling fans were turned on. The birds were in an aviary in the living room and the sliding door separating the two rooms was kept closed.
I don't normally clean my oven in the winter for this reason, but I had some spillage and I wanted a clean oven to bake Christmas goodies. Stupid mistake.
All this happened quickly, by the time I noticed something was wrong, one had already died and the next one died within minutes. At first the mamma bird appeared to be okay. We immediately removed her from our home and sat with her in a warm car. It was no use. It was too late, she died within twenty minutes.
I choose to keep my circle of Face Book friends small, which is why I need your help. I've never asked anyone to share anything but I'm asking all of you to ***PLEASE SHARE THIS!*** so that other pet birds don't die in vain. If I, a lifelong pet bird owner can have this happen, how many other people have lost their pet birds to toxic fumes?
What's more, if those fumes are fatal enough to kill birds, what does it do to humans, especially our children? I'd rather have spent hours and lots of elbow grease cleaning my oven the old-fashioned way than pay for the "modern convenience" of a self-cleaning oven the way that I did.
If you have pet birds and must clean your oven, IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS!! I did and my birds are dead. MOVE YOUR BIRDS ENTIRELY OUT OF YOUR HOME!!
Those of you who know me well know how much I love my animals. Today their is an eerie silence and emptiness in my home. Pictured on the left was DreeDree and on the right was Warren. They were a pair bond. Their offspring is laid between them, he was born in my aviary not even two years ago. His name was Button because to me he was a cute as one.
Forgive me, little ones. I'm so, so sorry. ?

She posted pictures of her dead birds. I have left that out. Out there a conscientious pet owner who clearly loved her birds is suffering sorrow and a sense of failure. She trusted the manufacturers instructions and it was not enough.
Birds are sensitive. Clearly self cleaning ovens are not safe to use around birds. I wonder what kind of fumes they give off. Would they be dangerous for other pets and even humans.

There is nothing we can do for the gentle Diamond Doves that died, but we can at least pass on the warning and try to prevent other deaths.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine