Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog Dementia
Really well said there, Catherine.

A neighbour (human Smiley4 ) came to me with tears in her eyes the other day. She had forgotten her pin  number at the bank! She was so scared she might have Alzheimer's starting! She has no other symptoms and her mind is sharp.

I told her I forgot MY pin number once when I was about 30 and fighting fit. What a silly fuss and bother that caused....plus a lot of driving about!

I often wonder if the trouble is that the more attention a disorder gets, the more people think themselves into focusing on it and worrying about every tiny mistake as being a "symptom"?

Dementia may be more common now as many people and animals are living far beyond the lifespan they used to have. But I know quite a few humans in their late 80s and in their 90s who have no signs of dementia, even though some have other health problems.
Strangely, all of them have always enjoyed outdoor walks and exercise.

And yes there are many causes for odd behaviour in animals, including older animals. Some like you say, may have deafness, partial or complete blindness, urinary infections,  and other complaints of old age, or may just have become more sensitive to things like traffic noise, sudden surprises, etc.

There is nothing unnatural or frightening about changing as we grow older, and being less capable in some ways, and that doesn't have to mean we have dementia.

Messages In This Thread
Dog Dementia - by Catherine - 12-25-2018, 04:17 PM
RE: Dog Dementia - by Tobi - 12-26-2018, 11:14 AM
RE: Dog Dementia - by Catherine - 12-26-2018, 05:30 PM
RE: Dog Dementia - by Tobi - 12-28-2018, 01:27 AM
RE: Dog Dementia - by Catherine - 12-28-2018, 03:20 PM