Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extant animals size
[Image: ddu5xds-fce30be7-42e9-4100-94d6-65000eb1...KMOtUbdvAI]

Humpback whales makes one of the longest migration of any mammals in the world, up to 10,190 miles (16,400 km) round trip. The humpback whale is slightly longer than a school bus, about 12–16 m (39–52 ft) in length and weigh around 25 - 40 tonnes. They are known for their melodious songs and for breaching the water.
The Humpback Whale is beautiful. I love the long fins. They make it look graceful. I would have expected the tail to be longer and bigger. If I saw just the tail in the water I would expect a much smaller whale. 

I would love to see one.  Pictures and videos of them are  great, but can you imagine actually seeing one in the water.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(04-07-2020, 03:30 PM)Catherine Wrote: I would love to see one.  Pictures and videos of them are  great, but can you imagine actually seeing one in the water.

I thought you might had seen one in real. Actually they are well-studied species of whale and one of the most common whales you will see when whale watching. Among the documentaries i have seen for marine animals, most of them had humpback whales.

[Image: ddui6fi-7bfba4e9-27a2-4c59-9d4d-3ef0f8d3...J2vloNQuMU]

The giant manta ray is one of the largest fishes in the world. It is the largest ray and has a disc width of 4.5 - 7 m (15 - 23 ft) and weigh as much as 1 - 2 tonnes.
I have been on the west coast often enough to have seen a humpback, but sadly no. I have seen Orca and Grey whales migrating.  I just haven't been in the right place at the right time.

The giant Manta is amazing, but it is also kind of cute. Where do they live. I have never heard of them anywhere I have been.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine