Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extant animals size
Toronto is interesting. We have a lot of birds and mammals. We have turtles in the province. There are no whales however.

I did see an Orca when I was on the west side of Vancouver Island.  I also saw an inlet full of whales one morning when I was camping on a beach on Vancouver Island in 1974. I don't know what kind of whale. They were greyish and it was October. That was a long time ago and I don't have pictures. They could have been Humpbacks. It was an amazing sight.

They also could have been gray whales. They migrate at that time of the year. That would explain why there were so many at once.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

[Image: dcy2ecx-af67b701-f86d-4921-a42f-5d1f4aaa...0hSLjG93xg]

The leopard shark is generally regarded as harmless to humans. This slender-bodied shark only grow to about 1.2–1.5 m (4 to 5 ft) in length and weigh as much as 10 kg. In rare occasions they can grow over 6 feet. The heaviest known leopard shark weighed 18.4 kg (41 lb).
Now  this is a shark that would be fun to meet. It is smaller than me and very beautiful.
Sharks are  a really diverse group. They range in size from small sharks like the Leopard shark to the Whale Shark.
Large or small most humans are scared of them all.

We need to learn to love sharks and see how much good they do for our oceans.
Catherine

(01-27-2019, 05:37 PM)Catherine Wrote: Now  this is a shark that would be fun to meet. It is smaller than me and very beautiful.
Sharks are  a really diverse group. They range in size from small sharks like the Leopard shark to the Whale Shark.
Large or small most humans are scared of them all.

We need to learn to love sharks and see how much good they do for our oceans.

Sharks are so diverse, some of them have bizarre look like the Greenland shark and some extinct sharks. They appeared on this planet before the dinosaurs.
Sharks are an ancient form of life and they have survived many things like the extinction of the dinosaurs. They must be perfectly adapted to their environment to have lasted unchanged for so long. They also must be essential to the well being of the oceans.
The oceans as we know them and as the dinosaurs knew them and even earlier have never been without sharks. We should think very carefully about how we treat sharks and how we are endangering their existence.  I don't think we really want to find out what the world would be like without sharks.
Catherine

[Image: dcyi96g-b07f5f76-3cf8-4b5d-b89b-1bd1929a...Ix2apvil7s]

The green anaconda is the world's heaviest snake, reaching 5.2 m (17.1 ft) in length. More typical mature specimens range up to 5 m (16.4 ft), with the females, at around a mean length of 4.6 m (15.1 ft), being generally much larger in adulthood than the male, which averages around 3 m (9.8 ft). Weights are less well studied, though will reportedly range from 30 to 70 kg (66 to 154 lb) in an average-range adult. It is also one of the world's longest snakes. Although it is slightly shorter than the reticulated python, it is far more robust. The bulk of a 4.5 m (15 ft) green anaconda would be comparable to a 7.4 m (24.2 ft) reticulated python.

The green anaconda is probably the heaviest extant species of snake or squamate in the world, perhaps only rivaled by the Komodo dragon. Reports of 9 - 12 m (30-40 ft) anacondas exist but such claims have never been scientifically verified.  A $50,000 cash reward is offered for anyone who can catch an anaconda 30 ft (9.1 m) or longer, but the prize has not been claimed yet. The longest and heaviest verified specimen encountered by Dr. Jesús Antonio Rivas, who had examined thousands of anacondas, was a female measuring 5.2 m (17.1 ft) long and weigh 97.5 kg.
Quote: The green anaconda is probably the heaviest extant species of snake or squamate in the world, perhaps only rivaled by the Komodo dragon. Reports of 9 - 12 m (30-40 ft) anacondas exist but such claims have never been scientifically verified.  A $50,000 cash reward is offered for anyone who can catch an anaconda 30 ft (9.1 m) or longer, but the prize has not been claimed yet. The longest and heaviest verified specimen encountered by Dr. Jesús Antonio Rivas, who had examined thousands of anacondas, was a female measuring 5.2 m (17.1 ft) long and weigh 97.5 kg. 

People are always claiming to have seen something really big that is actually nowhere near as big as they claim it is. 
A 5m anaconda is a big snake. Possibly a really old female could reach 5.5m. I have never heard of it, but it is possible because snakes do keep growing slowly all their lives. I really doubt anyone has seen a 9-12 m anaconda because they don't exist.
I actually held a green anaconda once. It was a female and she was only 2m at the time. She was still a pretty big snake.
And she was a pretty snake.
Catherine

There are few extinct snakes at that size. Above is a comparison of the 5.2 m (17.1 ft) anaconda and the extinct monstrous 12.8 m (42 ft) titanoboa and you can see that the anaconda looks like a child.

[Image: dcylmwk-82d854d7-c06a-4a42-8982-f751a530...AwGwU8Mcrw]

The bull shark named for its stocky body is known for its aggressive nature and have the reputation for being short-tempered. It is famously known for its ability to thrive in both saltwater and freshwater. Bull sharks are large and stout, with females being larger than males. Adult female Bull sharks average 2.4 m (7.9 ft) long and typically weigh 130 kg (290 lb), whereas the slightly smaller adult male averages 2.25 m (7.4 ft) and 95 kg (209 lb). While a maximum size of 3.5 m (11 ft) is commonly reported, there is a questionable record of a female specimen of exactly 4 m (13 ft). The maximum recorded weight of a Bull shark was 315 kg (694 lb) but may be larger.
I have heard of Titanoboa. I wonder if snake fossils have led to the rumors of larger snakes than what exist right now. 
People do tend to exaggerate what they see if it is something that scares them.

The Bull Shark even looks grouchy and irritable. Of course, the way people have treated sharks they have every right to be grouchy.
Catherine

[Image: dcyvjrp-85ff71b5-226e-4c5c-8250-58590425...1f9OvUqu4c]

The tiger shark commonly known as the "Sea Tiger", is a relatively large macro predator. It attains a length of 3.25 - 4.25 m (10 ft 8 in–13 ft 11 in) and weighs around 385–635 kg (849–1,400 lb). Sometimes, an exceptionally large male tiger shark can grow up to 4 m (13 ft 1 in). Females are larger, and exceptionally big ones can reportedly measure over 5 m (16 ft 5 in). One female specimen caught off Australia reportedly measured 5.5 m (18 ft 1 in) long and weighed an exceptional 1,524 kg (3,360 lb), although her weight is thought to have been bolstered by her pregnant state at the time. Even larger specimens have been reported, but are unconfirmed.

The tiger shark ranks second on the list of number of recorded bites on humans, behind only the great white shark.