Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extant animals size
(12-10-2019, 03:28 PM)Catherine Wrote: It is terrible that the Indian Ocean Humpback Dolphins are having such a hard time. As usual it is humans that are the problem. Dolphins being caught in shark nets is truly tragic. I don't even like the idea of shark nets for sharks. I am horrified that the dolphins are hunted for food. I hope they are able to survive what humans are doing to them. Some day when we behave better we will be sorry for what we have done to them.

Poor dolphins.. Smiley19

[Image: ddm11p4-ea40f9e8-de57-436d-93ba-93cae869...d5HSwpx1Q4]

The fin whale is the second largest animal on Earth, just behind the blue whale. An adult fin whale weighs as much as 10 large elephants. It is one of the fastest cetaceans and can sustain speeds between 37 km/h (23 mph) and 41 km/h (25 mph) and bursts up to 46 km/h (29 mph) have been recorded, earning the fin whale the nickname "the greyhound of the sea". The fin whale is the second largest whale with a length of 21 - 26 m (70 to 85 ft) and weighs 45 - 75 tonnes. The weight of the largest individual with a length of 27 m was estimated at 120 tonnes.

Fin whales were once heavily hunted to the brink of extinction, have been upgraded from endangered to vulnerable, according to IUCN. Thanks to international bans on commercial whaling, although Iceland and Japan have resumed hunting.
The fin  whale is a graceful looking creature. I just can't picture how big it is. It is 15-17 times my height. Just seeing one would be amazing.  I can't understand the people who actually get to see a fin whale and then they try to kill it. 

It is scandalous that Japan and Iceland are back hunting whales. The world needs to put pressure on them to stop. They shouldn't be killing any whales.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(12-11-2019, 03:51 PM)Catherine Wrote: The fin  whale is a graceful looking creature. I just can't picture how big it is. It is 15-17 times my height. Just seeing one would be amazing.  I can't understand the people who actually get to see a fin whale and then they try to kill it. 

It is scandalous that Japan and Iceland are back hunting whales. The world needs to put pressure on them to stop. They shouldn't be killing any whales.

Poor whales, even though they are very large, they can't able to escape from one enemy called as mankind.

[Image: ddmiylp-948469de-57dc-4840-bfeb-aa0416f6...KnpShZ6730]

The Sei Whale is the fourth largest baleen whale after the blue whale, fin whale and the humpback whale. It measures 14 - 19.8 m (45 to 65 ft) long and weighing about 20 - 30 tonnes. It is among the fastest whales, reaching speeds of up to 50 kilometres per hour (31 mph).

Sei whales were hunted almost to extinction by commercial whalers in the 19th and 20th centuries. Sei whales are classified as Federally Endangered.

In June 2015, scientists flying over southern Chile counted 337 dead sei whales, in what is regarded as the largest mass beaching ever documented. The cause of the mass deaths is not known, however toxic algae blooms caused by unprecedented warming in the Pacific Ocean, known as the Blob, may be implicated.
Quote:In June 2015, scientists flying over southern Chile counted 337 dead sei whales, in what is regarded as the largest mass beaching ever documented. The cause of the mass deaths is not known, however toxic algae blooms caused by unprecedented warming in the Pacific Ocean, known as the Blob, may be implicated.
Smiley19 Smiley19 Smiley19 
This is an unbearable loss. The species is so endangered. Losing Sei Whales after they have made such a comeback is unbearable.
I wish we could find out why whales around the world are beaching themselves. I am sure it is something we are doing wrong.
Catherine

[Image: ddo9trd-37663261-0e73-4a3a-896b-ec53517f...a2lDebuXuc]

The bowhead whale is one of the largest whales. This stocky whale grow to 15 - 18 m (50 - 60 ft) in length and weigh over 60 tonnes. Large individuals can reach 20 m (66 ft) and weigh up to 100 tonnes !  48

The bowhead whale is capable of breaking through sea ice 30 to 60 cm thick with it's massive skull. It has the thickest blubber of any animal, about 43 – 50 cm (17–20 in) that protects it from freezing in the cold Arctic waters.

The bowhead whale has the largest mouth of any animal. With it's huge mouth wide open, its large enough to park a midsize SUV inside.  Blinksmiley

Bowhead whales are known to be the longest-living mammals, living for over 200 years.  97
What a beautiful whale! With their ability to break through ice they would be able to save themselves and a lot of other animals from being trapped when the ice suddenly freezes. Of course that doesn't happen anymore does it. 

They are  so big. I would love to see one. A trip to the arctic is not so easy, even when you live in Canada. They must live in some very isolated areas. What do they eat? I am thinking they either eat large things or a massive amount of small things.
Catherine

(01-14-2020, 04:49 PM)Catherine Wrote: What a beautiful whale! With their ability to break through ice they would be able to save themselves and a lot of other animals from being trapped when the ice suddenly freezes. Of course that doesn't happen anymore does it. 

They are  so big. I would love to see one. A trip to the arctic is not so easy, even when you live in Canada. They must live in some very isolated areas. What do they eat? I am thinking they either eat large things or a massive amount of small things.

It's an awesome whale but as you know the usual story, like other large whales, the bowhead whales were also hunted and these days it is listed as 'least concern' but however some of their populations in Greenland are endangered. So i guess still it's a endangered whale. These whales eat 100 tonnes of crustaceans per year !
Quote: These whales eat 100 tonnes of crustaceans per year !
That is a lot, even for a big whale.

I don't suppose they even know how endangered they are. Whales of all kinds are worse off than we want to think. We have made a mess of the oceans with our whale hunting. The oceans will be a lonely place if we let these whale become extinct.
Catherine

[Image: ddqm1lc-fed3a102-319c-4208-89ef-48d234a1...gtgEKOLiWw]

The Cuvier's beaked whale is the world's deepest-diving mammal. It grows to about 5 – 7 m (16 – 23 ft) in length and weigh about 2 - 3 tonnes. These whales dive nearly 10,000 feet (3000 meters), that's close to seven times the height of the Empire State Building.

In 2014, scientists reported that they had used satellite-linked tags to track Cuvier's beaked whales off the coast of California, and found the animals dived up to 2,992 m (9,816 feet) below the ocean surface and spent up to two hours and 17 minutes underwater before resurfacing, which represent both the deepest and the longest dives ever documented for any mammal. The sperm whale holds the previous record for the deepest-dive of 7,380 feet (2,250 meters).
I have heard of the Cuvier's beaked whale. They must have amazing metabolisms to be able to withstand the pressures of diving so deep and going so long without breathing air.
Catherine