Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new rescue: a budgie who has had a stroke
Late last night I came home with a budgie that clearly has had a stroke. We figured it would be better with me one way or the other.
Last night the little bird was very quiet, but it might have been sleeping.

This morning she much brighter and is now trying to eat. Sadly her head is quite tilted and I think that will be permanent. 
She was even trying to perch on a piece of millet. I think if she can eat and drink she will at least survive. 
I will post pictures later today.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Total surprize, she just climbed up the bars to a perch and is sitting there. Her head is badly tilted, but she is determined to survive.
Catherine

Here are some pictures. 

[Image: ItPlkUkfP4oDHdLg-FxCFErqUGm93s1lCIBuYm-l...=w254-h275]This is how the little bird looked this morning.

[Image: 05_D_p4QlWRAGztuPIkL-s0h3Rycq_S4CGuST8O9...=w244-h275]I think the corner made her or him feel more secure at first.

Then surprize.
[Image: cxzKAQ-uHkyoueH5MVH0I4NvxwRaN3Y4Sh_cl3Wt...=w155-h275]She climbed up using the bars, but she is sitting on a perch.

Since then she has moved back and forth a little and was even grooming.
Her head is still very tipped to one side. She is a lot better, but she hasn't tried flying. I think she is eating, but I will have to watch and make sure she can get enough.
Catherine

She is sleeping now on a higher perch and is almost flying. Except for the head tilt she is looking good.

So can anyone tell from the pictures if the budgie is female or male.  Maybe I should pick a neutral name incase I never figure it out. Any suggestions?
Catherine

The little budgie is doing quite well in spite of the stroke. I believe he is  a male and I am calling him Pickle. He is bright green like a pickle and he was definitely in a bit of a pickle when I brought him home.
Catherine

Bless little Pickle! I'm glad to hear he is not doing too badly.

How odd....yesterday I was thinking what "in a pickle" means, and having a smile at that, after hearing an ad. on the radio, and thinking the pet insurance company had chosen a very good name for their business!
Pickle is doing very well. He is a social bird and he likes the canaries. He is responding to me when I talk to him. He has come a long way from last week when I brought him home and I didn't know if he would make it through the night. Other than the head tilt he seems okay. The head tilt is cute. It looks like he is listening intently.

I hadn't planned to get a budgie, but sometimes pets just happen in my life.
Catherine

Bless you for rescuing Pickle! Budgies are the greatest little creatures! They are very sweet critters! How is he doing now?

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Pickle is doing very well. Other than the head tilt, he looks perfect. He is flying around the cage now and seems quite at home. The canaries are fine with him so he is not alone. It is cute to wake up and hear him singing in the morning. He fits right in. Rouge the little female canary was found outside last summer and she is missing a foot. My birds may not be perfect, but they are beautiful.
Catherine