Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
59 animals rescued from northern Canada
The Toronto Humane Society was asked to help in the rescue of dogs and other animals from a remote northern "fly in" community in Ontario. Most of the animals are dogs. In the remote areas there are no vets to spay or neuter pets. Their numbers increase until strays become a serious problem. The Humane Society  chartered two planes and has brought the animals to Toronto. The bulk of the dogs will be housed at the Toronto Humane Society. 

https://www.680news.com/video/2019/02/23...the-north/

This is the biggest rescue in the history of the Toronto Humane Society. Thirty five of the dogs will stay at the Toronto shelter.
Some of the dogs are already on hold. This is an important rescue. It give these dogs a chance at happy lives and it protects a remote community from being over run be strays. As I hear more about these dogs I will post updates.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is great work.
I hope those dogs will all find someone who loves them, and nice homes.

It's so important, because when a remote place gets over-run with strays. there is always the temptation for people to deal with the problem themselves. Especially if they feel no outside help is available.
Quote:It's so important, because when a remote place gets over-run with strays. there is always the temptation for people to deal with the problem themselves. Especially if they feel no outside help is available.
That is why these northern rescues are so important. The community asked for help with their stray problem and they were given help. Other communities with dog problems will feel more inclined to ask for help. The Toronto Humane Society has already sent teams up north to give medical care to local animals and to spay and neuter dogs. It may take a lot more excursions before things are under control, but things are moving in the right direction.

The dogs will find homes very quickly. Toronto is a big city and there are few strays/rescues available for adoption. We have been bringing them in from other areas for years now. 

This is their biggest rescue ever. I suppose the cost of the airplanes is so great that they wanted to bring out as many dogs as they could.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine