Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canine Antivaxxers
I guess it had to happen. The paranoia about vaccines and autism has now spilled over into the world of pet dogs. People are afraid their dog will develop autism if they get it vaccinated. What isn't clear is the idea that dogs could develop autism. There is no evidence that they do. There is no evidence that vaccines cause autism in humans or any other species.

vancouversun.com/news/canada/some-pet-owners-believe-vaccines-give-dogs-autism-vets-say-thats-untrue/wcm/4598547e-d33a-4d76-850b-be180b8417b1

I think it is really stretching things to try and find autism in dogs and then to blame it on vaccines. The is no vaccine autism link. There is no evidence that dogs develop  autism. If people are seeing a link it is because they want to see a link. While this is going on dogs are left unprotected from diseases that were almost eradicated.

This madness is going on with human children. Why would we try and project it on our dogs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Stupid people have they ever seen an animal die from a preventable disease I have it's not pretty.
They don't even know if there is anything like autism in dogs. They do know there is no autism/vaccine link. It is sad to think that healthy dogs will die  or be damaged because people refuse to vaccinate them. We have come so close to eradicating some diseases and soon they will be back.
Catherine

Wow! Just wow! I've been listening to those podcasts and the cults one has a lot of those people and let me tell you they are all narcissists. Which I wont get into details about narcissists if you don't already know but it's a rabbit hole for sure. Lost of physical and mental abuse to all parties involved.
It is crazy thinking. We worked for years to produce vaccines so we would not be at the mercy of every infectious disease.
We even produced vaccines to protect our pets. We are finally living free of the fear constant epidemics. WE are working to find vaccines for things like Ebola. 

Now when we are finally having some safety, a group of misinformed and misguided people have turned against vaccines and are trying to turn others against them. It is crazy thinking. If they only endangered themselves we could ignore them, but they put vulnerable people at risk and they put vulnerable pets at risk. Having grown up at the time when the polio vaccine was new and other vaccines did not exist I can't believe people are so ignorant about basic health matters. 

I remember the spread of distemper in dogs and the spread of Feline Leukemia. We lost a lot of beautiful cats because it spread and there was no vaccine. If there had been a vaccine our cats would have been protected. Why would anyone who loves their pet put it at such risk?
Catherine

Vaccines are very helpful, and save lives when used correctly.

I do agree, however, with those who are against over-vaccination , or inappropriate vaccination for their animals.
I think it is wise to be educated, and also very aware.
When Misty first came to me, she had nearly died from Parvo virus. The Parvo vaccine (if she had been given it!) would have prevented that and might even have saved the lives of her f ive pups (poor little Souls).

However, when I took her for a check up at the vet, they always gave her the combination vaccine which included all sorts, and Parvo.
I questioned the Parvo one, as I knew she was naturally immune, having survived it. But it took me three years to question it. I only did so, after she became acutely unwell 24 hours after her booster shots one year.
The vet denied the boosters had anything to do with it, but I knew they had caused her to be unwell. She was also worryingly ill. But thankfully, it did pass.

Then I asked "why give her the combo vaccination when she is already immune to Parvo??" and "can we get single vaccinations?"
Eventually our vet admitted that she did not need it.
But I believe giving it to her put her system under a lot of stress.

Anyway, from then on I insisted on getting her titers done every year instead of just mindlessly allowing her to have the combo vaccination.

Every year she showed healthy immunity to absolutely everything except Leptospirosis!
Even five years later she was still immune to Distemper (from her previous innoculations) and Parvo (from natural immunity)!

Getting her titers done was more expensive but I felt better about that. Meanwhile she was healthy and well.
Maybe people wouldn't be questioning vaccines if we used them more wisely. It is easier to give one combination booster shot to  every dog every year. It is more work to figure out what the dogs needs and when it needs it. 

Misty had her own unique immune system and her own medical history. She did not need annual vaccination because she had a good strong immune response.

If they would be more careful about giving vaccines would that help stop the antivaccine movement? I don't know. Some people are just dead against anything in the way of vaccines. There is no human autism/vaccine link. There certainly isn't a dog autism/vaccine link. They don't even recognize that autism occurs in dogs in the first place. I suspect that people who are antivaccine will not be persuaded by anything at all. They have an idea and lack of proof isn't going to shake that idea.
Sadly dogs will die because of it.
Catherine

It may be a bit of a human tendency to swing from one extreme to the other....I don't know for sure but have observed that pattern many time with many things.
A middle balance seems hard to find. That may be because it costs more in terms of energy/research/discussion with medical professionals to find a middle way. Sometimes that can involves spending, too.

It is likely to be more economical to give dogs the combination vaccine.

I am also a little wary of combination vaccines given to young children whose immune systems have hardly developed enough to cope with such sudden challenges.
I cannot help thinking that sensibly-spaced single vaccines might be healthier.

I can imagine this is difficult with health services, such as the NHS in Britain. The NHS I am sure, only provide a certain structure and are unwiling to change it.
It is certainly available in private medicine of course, and available in veterinary medicine (as one pays privately) so one has a right to ask for it.
Clients are often looked at askance for asking, and some vets may even say it's not possible to provide single vaccines. But I know that it is.
Titer testing costs about 3-4 times as much as a regular consultation and the automatic "combination shots". So clients also have to be prepared, and willing, for those costs.
I think the combination vaccines are probably  a matter of convenience and also a way to get us (and our pets)vaccinated for things we don't think are a problem. 
The tetanus shot, that I need to upgrade soon also has the polio, pertussis and diphtheria vaccine. I will get the tetanus shot. I get bitten and cut often enough to need it. I would get the polio shot, but I might feel less urgent about it. I have had pertussis so I might not need it. I doubt I would  bother with the diphtheria vaccine. I have never heard of a case, but maybe that is because we are all vaccinated. If we stop vaccinating for diphtheria, would the disease make a comeback. Also why go for four shots when one will do.
People are refusing to vaccinate for Measles and Measles has made a sudden comeback.  So the danger is real.

The same would be true of animal vaccinations. We would all get the main ones done, like rabies, but would we bother with the less common diseases. Would we have dog and cat epidemics if we don't get our animals vaccinated.

I don't know if the combination vaccines are safer or less safe, but I know  people will be less likely to fully vaccinate if they have to come back many times.

Maybe a compromise is in order. Maybe they could combine less vaccines and work out a better vaccine schedule.
Whatever the answer is, not vaccinating is dangerous.
Catherine

I never had the Pertussis vaccine (Whooping cough, we used to call it) And never caught the disease.
I caught Measles, and it wasn't so bad. Fortunately there were no vision complications.
Had German measles too, stayed off school but actually felt okay so it was like a holiday! But I wasn't allowed out much in case I came in contact with pregnant women. So I played in the woods. No women ever went there! LOL
Caught Mumps as well, and that wasn't too bad.
And Chicken pox.
I got the polio vaccine, and the TB vaccine and there was something else, but I forget what it was.

Then later in life I was given that vaccine which women with very rare blood groups are given in case they get pregnant -to prevent a "blue baby".

And (this was a negative) I was given a 3-month course of tetanus after a car crash 1991 (car crash not caused by me....thought I would add that!) Now at the time the vaccinations appeared to do me no harm.
But for the next year my immune system was not in good shape. I caught every dratted bug going, one after the other, even things I never normally caught. I feel that triple treatment hurt me. But I recovered.

I have already had Shingles twice. But I am not going to get the Shingles vaccine. When I get it I cure it with herbal medicine and so far have not had any post-herpetic pain.  Anyway I haven't had that now since 2000.