Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat ladies explain why cats are better than men
The term cat lady has connotations so just assume that we mean single women who live with a cat.
There are a lot of reasons why someone choses to live with a cat. Mainly it is for the companionship.
So three single women were interviewed about their lives with cats. Clearly they prefer cats to men. They make a good case for going out to get a cat. A cat does meet needs and is a lot less trouble than a partner.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/59xad...r-than-men

I wonder if the same ideas apply to dogs. And what about reptiles. I prefer my reptiles.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

If I am honest, I didn't like the way the article was written: about three women (women only) who like cats (and only cats). This seems to give the impression that only women live alone with cats, rather than men alone with cats, or women alone with dogs, or men alone with dogs....or indeed any other companion animal.

From my own website, I know from the many people who write in all the time, that there are many men who live also alone with a cat or cats. I also know that there are women who live alone with dogs, or men who live alone with dogs.

How people choose to live their lives is their choice. But the article seems to present a somewhat sexist and species-ist tone. We are all equal. Some people love animals (including those who love reptiles like you do, Catherine). There are also some people just don't like animals at all (women or men).

It is nothing to do with gender or the choice of companion animal. The most important thing is love, regardless of gender or species.
I noticed that they were playing to a stereotype of single woman with a cat. You are quite right that all other possibilities exist.
Not only have I noticed men or women with a cat or a dog. I have also seen plenty of men or women with a cat and a dog.
Some people on their own have a bird. I have all kinds of things so I am hard to categorize.

I think if we are to get something from the article it is that humans do well with animal companions. For some people the pet does replace a lot of other relationships. This can be a very lonely world and a pet can really make a difference. Serious relationships sometimes just don't work out for people. I think that is where the three women were at. Their cats make up for a lot that they are not getting from people in their lives. Other companion animals would do just as well. They could easily have been men. I guess the fault lives with the writer who chose to draw on stereotypes for  the article. It could have been a more comprehensive presentation of the idea of companion animals meeting human needs.
Catherine

(03-17-2019, 05:47 PM)Catherine Wrote: This can be a very lonely world and a pet can really make a difference.

Yes, some people live in big cities, with people all around them, yet for one reason or another are lonely. A companion animal provides unconditional love. The trouble with humans is that they often make love conditional on something (e.g. behaviour of a partner). Pets impose no conditions on their relationship and will love their humans completely, once the love bond has been established.
Quote: Pets impose no conditions on their relationship and will love their humans completely, once the love bond has been established.
I think the need for unconditional love explains how we ended up with animals as pets in the first place. We wanted something in our lives. That just leaves the question of why animals want to be our pets. I can understand dogs choosing to be pets because dogs are really very nice. They like looking after us. Cats are harder to explain. They give us companionship, but in return we give them pampered lives. That makes sense. 
Animal companions make us feel better about ourselves and less anxious. That is a good thing. If everyone had pets it would be a good thing.

People who are unable to connect with people can still have someone special in their lives because they have a pet. It is just hard because pets don't live as long as us.
Catherine

Sometimes old ladies who are alone, or unfit people on their own cannot have a dog. How would they walk it? Being alone is hard with a dog unless the person is fit and active.
A cat in those situations, is the perfect little friend. And so are other species (who don't need a 3 mile walk twice a day! LOL!)

Maybe that's where the "old lady on her own with cat" idea orginated from?
Quote:Sometimes old ladies who are alone, or unfit people on their own cannot have a dog. How would they walk it? Being alone is hard with a dog unless the person is fit and active.

A cat in those situations, is the perfect little friend. And so are other species (who don't need a 3 mile walk twice a day! LOL!)
You are right. A cat is the right pet in many situations. They do not need a physically active person to walk them. They are very self sufficient. An old lady who sits a lot would be a happy companion for a cat who also wants to sit a lot. Women tend to live longer than men so there are more older ladies on their own. It just makes sense for older ladies who just want to live quietly to spend their time with a cat who also wants to live quietly.
Catherine