Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hard life of Sable Island Horses
Researchers are doing a new study of the sable island horses and they have concluded that the horses lead very hard lives. In particular the winter of 2017 was harsh and 10% of the horses died.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot...-1.5054854

Who are the Sable Island horses and how did they get there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sable_Island_horse

There is no doubt this is a unique horse situation. It is good that they are allowed to live as a feral herd. However, I think they could use a little help. We put the horses on this island that can barely sustain life. Perhaps a little veterinary care and some supplemental winter food would be in order. Perhaps they could build some simple winter shelters to protect the horses. Surely we could come up with something that would provide shelter without losing the natural look of the island.  Animals in National Parks are protected, but that doesn't mean they have to be neglected.

Global warming/climate change is creating harsher conditions and a rise in sea levels could reduce the size of Sable Island.
I think we have a responsibility here. Old horses starving because their teeth have been worn down by sand is not a happy image for one of our National treasures.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's not their fault they didn't ask for this people have a duty of care.
I am sure we could give them a bit of care without compromising their freedom and independence. A little supplemental winter feed and some kind of shelter would make a big difference in the horses' lives. I wonder if we could get some trees to grow.
If global warming raises the sea level we might have to evacuate the horses from the island anyhow.
Catherine

Well, humans put them there originally. I agree with catslave. People put them there, and now in harder times, shouldn't expect them to subsist or even starve. The horses should be helped. It seems only fair.
Quote:Well, humans put them there originally. I agree with catslave. People put them there, and now in harder times, shouldn't expect them to subsist or even starve. The horses should be helped. It seems only fair.
We get some strange ideas about animals and freedom. Yes they are wild and live independently, but they were put on the island. It is an island that was never meant to hold a herd of horses. I am sure we could help them without harming their freedom. It is not a very free life for them if they are starving to death.
Catherine