Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rules-Discussion
I don't think it was the word, Catherine -I think it's a loading problem I keep coming up against recently.My internet connection has been going so slowly for a week or two. Sometimes it's almost been as bad as dial-up! I have no malware, have cleaned out everything I can, have good wiring.....no idea what it's all about, unless it's heavy traffic in my area in the holiday period. My ISP keeps making excuses, but I am not happy about it.
It is probably heavy traffic in your area during the holidays. I get that with certain web sites. They load slowly at times when I know they have heavy traffic.
I hope the problem resolves itself when the kids go back to school. I am assuming it is kids on the computer that are slowing things down in your area.

In the mean time, the word ban list is an ongoing thing. Anytime you think of a word that we don't want to see on the Forum feel free to ban it. I think this is one of the most important features. I kept us polite and "clean" on the old Forum site and it will keep things good on this site.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I think it's important that we have a mention here about fundraising and the Forum's rules about that.

It can be very difficult to discern between genuine fundraisers for animal welfare causes, and the possibility of a fundraising being less than honest....
I think we probably have to blanket-ban all personal requests for funds, which is quite a shame, as many people do feel passionately about a Cause, and genuinely do want to raise money for animal welfare reasons.
Unless their posted links lead directly to an established charity, with a website/web-page which is genuine, a charity registration number, and all the contact details of that charity, plus secure facilities for donations -we have to say No. Because we cannot judge what is safe/not safe for members and visitors.

What do we all think about that?
I think you pretty much clarify the issue. We just can't allow personal fundraising. Too often the sites are just a money grab and I doubt there even is an animal involved. The picture is always very generic and there is never any detail.

We put in a charity section so legitimate charities can post a link to their site. If someone chooses to donate to a cause that is their choice.

We try to verify charities to be sure they are real. If we can't confirm a charity within a reasonable amount of time, with a reasonable amount of research, then we cannot allow the link to stay on our site.
I like to put a warning message in the charity's post to let people know that we have not yet confirmed the site.
I think that is fair since this is our site and we are letting charitable groups use our site for their benefit.

So any charity that wishes to post a link needs to give us enough information to confirm the legitimacy of their cause.

I would not recommend that anyone send funds to a PayPal account that they come across on this Forum. Always be sure before you donate. As you say, real charities have proper web sites.
Catherine

I agree Catherine.
I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a clearly-written reference-sheet with the Forum's rules itemised? And no facilities for comments...(?) This thread is interesting, but certain points might get buried in general chat here....

So that it is very easy for members and visitors to see exactly where they and we stand about the Forum Rules??

I could write one up, if you like (might take me a few days) then you -and others can check it, see if anything needs to be added/subtracted (!) and we could make that a main 'sticky'?
If you can write something up it would be great. We can put it in a new thread and sticky it. We can close it so that only Admins can comment and of course we can edit the rules if we need to.

I knew we would eventually need to write some rules. It is good that we took our time and figured out what rules we need.
Catherine

Okay I'll do that Catherine, and get back to you in a day or so with a draft. Then we can add things as we go along.
Thank-you. I knew we would eventually need to do this. At some point you have to tell people what they can or cannot do so that situations can be dealt with fairly. We have always tried to be fair.
Catherine

We now have a set of rules. We are open to suggestions and comments. If there is a strong consensus we are open to changing things, if the change is of benefit to the Forum. The purpose of the Rules is to allow the Administrators to be fair with people when we have to make decisions. Ultimately we want everything to run smoothly and we do not want Spam.
Catherine