Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Monarchs are migrating
The Monarch Butterflies have begun their journey north for 2019. I live in Canada so they are a long way away and many weeks from arriving. However they are in Texas and it is good news. After years of serious and frightening declines their numbers are better. They are double last years numbers and six times the 2014 numbers. 

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Monarc...89601.html

All the hard work of conservationists and just local gardeners is paying off. The conservationists made us aware of the crisis. Gardeners have been planting milkweed and pollinator friendly plants in increasing numbers. It has paid off for the Monarch Butterflies and it will also pay of for our other pollinator friends like the Bees.

This is just one small biodiversity crisis in a world that is in a serious climate change, ecological crisis. Human efforts have helped turn the situation around. If we can make a difference for one species, we can make a difference elsewhere. It is the efforts of all of us that matter. I only planted a few milkweed plants, but there are millions of plants out there and millions of butterflies. All of us together have done this. I look forward to seeing the butterflies in my garden again. Until they come back I will be planting(as soon as spring actually happens) more pollinator friendly plants. I invite the rest of you to do the same.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine