Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farewell little Sally
No, this isn't a Rainbow Bridge situation. Sally is extremely well, and happy.
But she is leaving -forever -on Sunday morning.

Her family (the woman's daughter and her husband) have now come back for her. They asked me -we had a long meeting today about it.

Sally loved her landscape -three acres of glorious garden. She was extremely fond of me. I was all she had. But whenever I "cat-whispered" her I always got the same message -that she was doing fine, but missed belonging to her family very much. I could sense a constant yearnng deep down, for the way things always used to be. She always wanted to get into the main house, but whenever she did, she came out looking as if she had lost something.

Over the (almost) seven years I've looked after her up at her house and landscape I have always sensed that from her, though she adapted, there was a small part of her always looking towards that.

And strangely enough, when we cuddled up the other night I found myself quite focused on it, and found myself asking "What would happen IF one day they came back for you?" And sensed she would like that very much.

This morning when I called round to see the daughter, to make sure all was well, and did she need anything from Sally's room?....she let me know the news. but would not take her, she said, if I felt it wasn't the right thing for any reason.

I know she will be loved very much. I know she will be spoiled, and will have a complete family life again with the girl she grew up with years ago. She has a new fantastic garden, and that young woman understands her needs.

Tomorrow is our last day, then she will leave, and we won't meet again in this life.

I am extremely happy, but have a tear rolling down my cheek just now. Heart
WOW!
It is hard to believe that after all these years of cat sitting, Sally will finally be going "home" and you will be free of your duty of care. I know you looked after Sally in the very best possible ways, but she was never your cat. You looked after her day after day, faithfully, winter and summer, snow and rain, sunshine and storm. I don't know how you kept it up for so long. I think Sally Cat cherished your friendship, but I think she wanted to live in a home with a family. The daughter is the family she grew up with so it will be home for her. Think of her living in a proper house with everything nice and warm. She never really liked the shed. She just had to use it because she had no choice. You made it a comfortable nest for her, but her heart has always been elsewhere. I think she never stopped wanting to be with her family. Now she is going to have that. I think you have been listening to Sally and knew what she wanted. 

I know you are happy for Sally. I do hope the daughter sends news of her now and then. It is going to be strange for you. Saying good bye will be happy sad. You are going to find yourself walking over to feed Sally many times before the habit of caring for her leaves you. There will be lots of times that you forget that she is gone and then suddenly you will remember. Seven years of cat sitting must be a record. I know you were my inspiration all the years that I helped care for Zooey Cat.

I feel like crying just thinking of her shed sitting empty and then I think of Sally in a home with people she loves and I have to smile. 
You won't know what to do with all the free time you will have, but I am sure there will be lots of things that need doing.

No doubt when you read this you will have already said your goodbyes to Sally Cat. I will be thinking of you. You walked a lot of miles for that cat and now she is going home. Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thank you for everything you said, Catherine.

Yes it is a happy situation.

But what a wuss I am hey? I haven't been able to sleep all night as the reality trickled in bit by bit. I cried. Silly me. Just me -raggedy old me, adjusting. It hurts. It will feel lonely to go to that garden to feed the fish, and she isn't there.
But it is good, because Sally gets what she needs. I will be alright tomorrow.

I took Misty because I "heard" from her that all she wanted was to stay with me, and stay in our world. I took her from her previous "caretaker".
This time I let Sally go because all I heard was that she wanted her family back, though was very fond of me and appreciated me.
Strange....same kind of thing recurring, but with different stories.
I think you are very sensitive to animals feelings. You have known for some time that Sally wanted more. She really wanted a home and a family. She will be happy now with her people. I think she will miss you. You were there for her all those years.
That has to tug at your heart too. Even as you are releasing Sally to live with her family again, you know you were her good friend all those years and the feelings run deep for both of you. You love Sally enough to let her go to someone else because it is what's best for Sally.

This is a rainbow day for you. There are tears like rain as you say goodbye to Sally, but there is also a bright happy rainbow that matches the bright happy future Sally has ahead of her. I have wondered what would happen if Sally got old or sick living in her shed. Now she has a home to grow old in. I am glad the daughter has come for Sally, but I know how hard it is to see her go.
Big hugs to you from me and all my critters.

You deserve an award for long standing service to a little cat. You gave Sally a happy life. She will miss her quiet times with you in the shed.
Catherine

Here are some pictures of Sally, emailed to me a couple of days ago.

[Image: Sally-Apr-2019.jpg]
[Image: Sally-Apr-2019-2.jpg]
[Image: Sally-Apr-2019-3.jpg]

It is nice to see her looking so happy and content in her new home. Bless you little Sally!
Sally Cat does look happy in her new home. In the picture of her sleeping you can see she is totally relaxed. Sally cat has what she really wanted all along. She has her own home where she can live like a princess.

I am glad they sent you pictures. Now you can see with your own eyes that letting Sally go was best for Sally.
She is a pretty cat and she looks a bit like my Zooey Cat. Zooey had longer fur.
Catherine

Tobi, I hope that you are now recovering from the shock of Sally leaving to be with her human family. But in your heart I think that you always knew that her living in a shed might not be permanent, despite all the love and care you gave her. I seem to remember your posting in a different thread years ago that you had tried taking her to your house, but she didn't want to stay there.

I'm sure that Sally will always remember and be very grateful for all the care you gave her. How far away has she gone? Is it too far to visit?

I send you comforting and supportive thoughts.
Thank you for your kind thoughts LPC (and Catherine)
I am really very happy Sally has gone to be with her original caretaker.
Joy took her to the vet just for a general check up last week, and the vet said she was in fine fettle! And to pass that on to her "foster carer" (i.e. -me!)

So it's a job well done. I am not grieving her loss. Yes I miss her around of course....but knowing she is happy has taken the edge off being upset about it.

Oh and....she didn't live in a shed Smiley4  She had a nice draught-proof "office room" attached to the garage round the back of the house, which was carpeted and heated and contained everything she needed....except of course her family whom I knew she always missed.
They don't forget their families...when they are left behind, even under kind circumstances. They don't forget those they have bonded with.
I am not surprized that the vet found sally to be in the best of health. You did a remarkable job of caring for her all these years.
I could never quite picture how Sally lived. I think I get it now. She had a fine set up, but she wanted her people. At her age it is a good thing that she can live in a home with her family again.

It is hard to break the habit of caring for a pet. It helps that you know Sally is in a happy home with her family, but you must really miss her. She was one of a kind with her funny ways and her silly Sally behavior. I suppose you could go and sit in the room and listen to music for old times sake.

I still think you deserve an award for fidelity to cat sitting. I have never heard of anyone cat sitting for 7 years. 18
Catherine

Rotating LOL I have never heard of anyone cat-sitting for seven years either!  Sally just became a part of my everyday life. Sometimes I'd even sneak down there at 1 or 2 am if by any chance I couldn't sleep, or felt concerned about her for any reason.

They seem to have dismantled the radio in there....so no more music. And the place we used to sit has been dismantled also. But I still go in there to get the fish food, string, other odd things.

There is a little zebra print cave-like cat bed which was left behind. Sally was never very keen on it. I have vacuumed it super-clean and shall give it to Happy Landings -my local animal rescue.