Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost cat treks 200 miles home!
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals...s-way-home

And nobody knows how she did it! Holly, described as an 'indoor cat' was lost when the family were on vacation 200 miles from home.
It took her two months to find her way back.
What an amazing story! Three cheers for Holly.Smiley32Smiley58Smiley34

She showed a remarkable determination to get back to her home. That is a long journey for a cat or any one else. Could you walk 200 miles? I am not sure I could do it. It would definitely take me more than two months.

I really wonder how she did it. Being a cat, she will never tell. I am sure cats will never give up their secrets to research scientists. Maybe they have the ability to retrace their journey, even though the cat was in a car and not walking. So when cats get lost, does that mean they have just decided to move on? Will we ever know?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

There is a theory that she kept the sound of the sea to one side of her all the time, until she ended up in familiar neighbourhood...but it's still a mysterious feat.
It's not too bad....apparently she only had to cover just over 3 miles a day. But it must have been hard to get enough food, and her paws were sore and bleeding when she arrived home.

It is a very strange event, either way, because a female cat doesn't normally have a very large territory, unlike a male cat. So females don't explore surroundings quite as much as males. Going 200 miles was something extra special.
It was an exceptional feat. For her to even think of using the ocean as a guide was remarkable. Three miles might not seem like much until you think of how small a cat is. It is a lot of steps for a little girl. No wonder her feet were sore.

So some day when a hungry cat wanders by and asks for a meal, who knows, maybe it is on a long journey.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine