Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescues work on image to get pets adopted
With all the attention paid to animals with cute online profiles, shelters are aware that unattractive pets have a hard time getting adopted. Pets with unattractive photos have a hard time getting adopted as well. People look up a pet online before they go to the shelter to see the animal.
Keeping that in mind shelters are working to give pets an online makeover.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pe...t-14380724

A major cell phone producer has donated phones with good cameras to the RSPCA so they can take better photos.

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/04/huawei...e-animals/

If this is what it takes to find homes for the "unadoptables" then this is what needs to be done. The new phones are a great help.
Hopefully all the pets featured in the video will have homes by now. I hope more of the shelters will take this approach.  It is sad that so many pets stay at a shelter for so long before they are adopted. New methods  might bring better results.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What a great idea! And how nice of the phone company to do that.

Sometimes it's just about advertising.
Look what happened with "Grumpy Cat" online!! (Of course the cat probably wasn't grumpy, he just had a peculiar face. But he became a world-wide-web sensation!)
Grumpy Cat is a perfect example. We all love how he looks and yet if he were in a shelter he would be overlooked because he is not appealing. We had to learn to love his grumpy face and we did because of the funny appealing pictures of him.

I think the phones that were donated have good cameras that are easy to use. Shelter staff can work with the animals and get pictures of them when they are at their best.  Sometimes the very best pets just don't get adopted because people never go beyond their online picture.

I adopted Frodo the guinea pig when I realized he had been at the shelter for a year. His picture wasn't good and he didn't look like much after a year at a shelter. He turned out to be the most fun ever. He used to make me laugh he was such a character. If he had an appealing picture  he would never have sat there for a year. Because of how people saw him they missed out on the best pet ever.

People can't help it. There are drawn to certain pictures and not to others. Shelters can use that fact to help pets get adopted.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine