Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food suggestions please
So I'm trying to decide what the best brand/type of food to be feeding.... My lil guy gets spoiled with plenty of berries and carrots and fresh fruits n veggies of course. But what is a good main staple to keep his dish loaded with??? I'm halfway through the very first bag I bought and I'm trying to decide what would be good for the next one, and hopefully stick with this one....Greatly appreciate and value your opinions...
The foods have changed quite a bit since I last had a rat for a pet.... ?
Thank you all!!??
I know people who feed their rats fruits, veggies and a good quality dog food. They love eating corn. In the winter they have to use frozen corm and the rats love it.

If you don't like dog food, I am sure there are prepared rat foods. They eat some bird seeds as well.
I guess the idea is to feed a variety of things to keep the rat happy and healthy.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oxbow is the stuff breeders use because it’s super high quality with a lot of good vitamins and has a ton of nutritional value. Also high in price.
https://www.chewy.com/oxbow-garden-selec.../dp/145150

I personally use the Mazuri because it’s more of a filler because my girl gets a lot of variety in veggies and fruits. That’s what my rats were eating when I got them. It’s also easier on the wallet.
https://www.chewy.com/mazuri-rat-mouse-food/dp/124757
I am glad someone with rats jumped in on this post.
I am more the guinea pig person. Interesting that Oxbow makes rat food. They do Guinea pig hay. It is more expensive, but it is the brand my guinea pigs like. If they don't like it they won't eat it.

I have never heard of Mazuri products. Maybe they don't sell them where I am.
They look like a good product.
When you give fresh fruits and vegetables the animals are getting basic nutrition and variety. 
That does give you more choices about the rest of the foods you feed.
Your rats have lasted a good long time so you must have the food balance right.

What fruits and vegetables do you give them.

The guinea pigs get mostly carrots, cucumbers and leafy greens like kale. For vegetables they get mostly apples, strawberries and blueberries. They are not as fond of squash, but they will eat a bit of it and peppers too.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine