Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copenhagen Zoo Kills Again
I would have thought that the zoo would have looked at how the public looked at the killing of Marius the Giraffe and changed its ways.

Instead they have done worse. They killed four lions, two of the still cubs, all of them healthy.Smiley19
http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/03/...3-29-lions

They show no regard for the animals as individuals. They give bad names to zoos everywhere. I think we all should denounce them as unfit to handles animals at all. Angry
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The only way to get at this zoo is to hit where it hurts - in its cash takings. A massive campaign to make people aware of this latest killing of a whole lion family should be targetted at the Danish public, urging them to boycott going to this zoo and also to withold permission for their children to go there on school trips. Public criticism does not seem to have affected the zoo at all; indeed, it seems to have made it even more intransigent. So the only way forward is to hit its finances.
You are right. They are really quite bold about what they have done. I don't even know if criticism from other zoos would help. They are very arrogant. I hope they have a board of directors or some group that has oversight. The Zoo Director should be removed from his post.

Who did the actual killing. That person has a lot to answer for.

When my local zoo's old lion couple were getting too old to display(mainly because they needed to be babied) they were held in an off display area and the younger lions were the ones the public saw. Rowdy and Nokanda had a gentle retirement and died peacefully. That is what zoos have a responsibility to do.

If Copenhagen Zoo can't do that then they are in the wrong business.Angry
Catherine

That is so true. Some peoples' understanding of injustice, pain and suffering is confined to their bank accounts.

They say they are doing all this killing to keep the population healthy, and stop inbreeding.
Absolute yuck! May be technically correct, considering these poor animals are doing time in 'jail', and unable to live naturally the way they would in the wild, where there are natural ways and instincts which deter them from inbreeding generally. But these animals' incarceration is by Human design, in the first place, with commercial interests at the forefront.

The official slant is that the cubs were killed humanely, as a new male was coming in, and they say he would have killed them anyway. Well why the heck didn't they find some way to re-home those cubs??

I absolutely have NO TIME for zoos. Sad horrible places, no matter which way I look at it.
They could have found another location for the cubs. They did not even try. They could have found a placement for the parents. There are big cat rescues that would have taken them and provided for them for the rest of their lives.

I would like to know who actually did the killing and how they can live with themselves. You can be sure the zoo director who orders such things does not actually do them. He stands at a distance and says a bunch of nonsense to explain his decision. He has no part of the action because if he was directly involved he would see how it makes no sense at all.
Catherine