Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japan resumes comercial Whaling
After years of catching whales in the Antarctic under the cloak of scientific research, Japan is now hunting whales closer to home for direct commercial purposes. They are doing this even though the demand for whale meat is declining.
There are mixed feelings about what will come of this hunting. They will be taking less whales than they did for so called research projects. On the other hand they are directly hunting the whales. 

It is possible that this is the beginning of the end of whaling for Japan. Like other countries they are feeling the negative response of the rest of the world to whaling. They are also recognizing that ecotourism and whale watching could be more financially sustainable. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/japan-resu...-1.5196257

I hope Japan is finally starting to see the value of having the whales alive. One whale can be seen many times over by tourists. A dead whale can only be harvested once. I don't feel good about Japan resuming its commercial whaling program, but I am relieved that they have quit the Antarctic whaling. Now we just have to keep up our protesting and wait and see what happens.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine