Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arctic Fox walks from Norway to Canada
This is an incredible journey. A young female Arctic Fox left Norway on March 26, 2018 and walked across the ice and arrived in Northern Canada on July 1, 2018.
She was fitted with a tracking collar so they were able to track her journey.  Being a fox she did not walk in a straight line and in all her journey was over 3,500 km. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/arc...-1.5197697

First let me say welcome to Canada, little fox. I hope life is good to you here.
I did not know that foxes migrated in any way. This is a major migration.
I am wondering what she ate and where she sheltered. How did she know where to go.
If they hadn't been tracking the fox we would have had no idea of her journey. She would have looked like one more local fox. I hope they study this more. I wonder if other foxes make similar journeys.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is an incredible journey! For someone so tiny and so alone.

I wondered why she needed to travel so far, but it's so she can find a mate and settle far from where she was born. I suppose ensuring genetic variance so definitely like that, is a survival priority.

I wonder what she found to hunt on the arctic sea ice during her journey ? I hope she will be very happy in Canada!
Quote:I wondered why she needed to travel so far, but it's so she can find a mate and settle far from where she was born. I suppose ensuring genetic variance so definitely like that, is a survival priority.
It must be an instinct to travel far from the birth place. Arctic foxes would be scarce because life is scarce in the arctic.
It is interesting that it is the female who traveled. After such a long journey I hope she can find a mate who is a good genetic match.  She deserves the best.

I wondered about food. There must be birds and small rodents that she could catch along the way.

I really do wonder if other foxes in the arctic migrate. I hope they do further studies about this.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine