Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescued a House Gecko
So one of my best friend’s that I’ve known since we were 5 recently contacted about what she thought was a leopard gecko that was 1 of 7 that had been stuck to a glue trap in someone’s storage unit. Being the only survivor. I said I would take it but when I saw the picture I knew it wasn’t a leopard gecko. I did some googling and found it was a Mediterranean house gecko which is a harmless but invasive species. They’ve spread pretty much anywhere humans are that has a similar climate to the Mediterranean. So the dilemma began on if I should release it or not. I decided to at least wait until I saw it’s condition.
I had to wait a day because the person who found it had to bring it to my friend’s brother’s house and then my friend was able to pick it up the next day at lunch and then I picked it up from her work. Gave me plenty of time to set up a tub.
I’ve had it about a week now and I believe it’s a female. That’s because I can clearly make out 2 eggs... so now I really don’t know what to do. I’ve found nothing that says I can’t keep her so I’m thinking I just took in a house gecko family lol.
So now I’m researching how to incubate the eggs which seems to be just like leopard geckos which isn’t hard at all.

You can see the eggs!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzoYibKBlEO/...j4jzsdft7z
Congrats on your first house gecko. 
Those little house geckos have managed to establish themselves all around the globe. When I had some they got out and lived loose in my place for the rest of their lives. They could get at my cricket bin so they were self feeding. 

Even if your gecko was a wild gecko it will still be better off with you. Also, I wonder if it was wild. In your picture it is sitting on your hand. It seems pretty tame. 
I am sure you can google how to deal with house gecko eggs, but I will speak to an experienced reptile breeder. He will know for sure what you should do. She does look like she has eggs. They would be so cute and tiny when they hatch. 

Keep me posted and I will let you know what I learn about breeding house geckos.
I must have had males. I never saw a single egg.

That is really sad about the others that were trapped on glue traps. They are so cruel and they trap so many helpless creatures. 
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzqs3NlBEXp/...s145bt0jls

We have 1 egg!! Found it the day after. I inspected her and she doesn’t have a second egg. Which I suspected but she of course could still lay more eggs still. So I’m trying to get her eating. She really deflated after laying the egg.
I’m excited to be incubating our first reptile egg. All I can do it wait now. The egg looks really good and I have it in a leopard gecko egg container in a spot that stays 88 degrees Fahrenheit.
WOW!!
Your first egg. Fingers crossed that it will hatch. It is never a sure thing, but you are doing all the right things so there is every chance that you will get a baby gecko. You are going to need some very tiny crickets. You could try hatching them. Crickets are easy to raise. Just put a few females in with a dish of peat moss or something like it and sure enough there will be little crickets later.

Some lizards don't lay all their eggs at once. She might wait a few days before she lays the second egg. She could even lay more eggs than that. I haven't looked it up. How long does the egg need to incubate?

Keep me posted on its progress. You should be able to tell if the eggs is developing.
Catherine

Sadly when I checked the egg this morning it was a gooey green stinky mess. I’m guessing the egg wasn’t fertile. I never could see and veins like there should be. I mean it was a tiny egg so it was hard to see it at all when I candled it. I’ll have to keep an eye out for more eggs still. Another 4 weeks and she could have more.
House geckos have very delicate eggs. She also might not have been fertilized.
I hope you have better luck with the next egg.

I don't know if candling is any good. Reptile eggs have a lot of yolk and that makes them dense. Usually you can tell if an egg is developing or rather, you can tell if it is not.

With practice you will recognize a fertile egg. They are a little different. They have a good layer of calcium and they are firm, but not hard.

She may have dropped her egg because of all the stress and confusion in her life. Once she is used to you she should be fine.
Catherine