Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo of the Last Howl
I just learned about this today. The "Echo of the Last Howl" tells the story of the Canadian deliberately killing the sled dogs of all the Inuit communities. The sled dogs were their transportation across the ice and the means of bringing food to their families. Their whole culture and life was involved with the dogs. Destroying the dogs destroyed the life of the Inuit. 

https://nunatsiaq.com/stories/article/ec...ig_screen/

It was also a very cruel action. Many dogs were not killed instantly. They were allowed to suffer. It was an act of cruelty and an act of cultural genocide. The movie is good and it is worth watching. 

https://youtu.be/IpHPH4VYKAA

Governments have done many strange things to animals. This one they need to apologize for and they need to compensate the people who lost so much.  It won't bring back the dogs, but it does acknowledge what was done to them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

"...Makivik would also like to see governments “acknowledge the wrongs done and apologize to the Inuit of Nunavik” and provide compensation “in the amount and form agreed to between Makivik and the governments.”

Quite right.

I daren't read that book. It would make me too angry. For me, anyone laying a finger on any of my dogs would have been a declaration of war.
I don't know how this story was kept quiet for so long. Now that it is out, I hope pressure on the government will get some results. The wrong needs to be acknowledged and the people need to be compensated.
When governments are forced to compensate people for wrongs done, they are less likely to do it again.

I think they would not get away with a dog slaughter like that now. I would hope no government would even try it.
Still we hear about culls taking place.
This one was nasty because it was meant to destroy a way of life. I would hope that such an action would not happen again either.

I watched the video and it is mostly people talking about what they experienced. It is still very upsetting. The people suffered and their dogs suffered.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine