Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vet suspended 4 months for kicking dog in his care
At vet in Harborough was witnessed kicking a dog who nipped him after being vaccinated. He kicked the dog more than once and perhaps stomped on it. The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons determined that he did indeed kick the dog. They felt he wouldn't do it again so they suspended him for 4 months.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/...og-3142277

The vet gave a vague excuse of family troubles as the reason for his actions. I would question that it was a one time incident. He just went ahead and did it. This may be the only time he was caught. I don't know how they felt a four month suspension was enough to deal with the issue. Perhaps the vet could use some kind of class to teach him how to deal with stress other than kicking helpless animals.

The real issue is that we the public pay a vet to care for our animals. We have the expectation that the animal will be well treated and definitely unkicked!
Maybe that issue should have been address by the RCVS. Anything else feels like the RCVS protecting their own from the consequences of their actions.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

"....They felt he wouldn't do it again...." ??

Poor dog. No-one who is in a profession which is supposed to help and care for animals, or give them medical attention, should ever do something like this. In my view, the vet should be suspended permanently....

....Unless..... he can clearly demonstrate that he has overcome his tendencies. And a hidden camera should be able to monitor that; creating a situation for a number of months, where he doesn't know he is being observed.
However, that would not be protective for his victims.....

Sadly, I am reminded of the tests Shelter dogs are put through, determining whether they live or die; aggression testing with other animals, and with food (which, sadly, many decent loving dogs would still have a chance of failing, and be put to death as a result.)

This man has done worse than that.
He is getting away with his abuse because the RCVS does not like to make an example of one of their own.

You make a good point about the tests they give to shelter dogs to determine who will live or die.
If they are going to let an animal abuser go free, how can they blame a dog for just wanting to protect its food in a frightening new shelter situation.

They should go easy on the dogs and watch the vet very closely. I like the hidden camera idea. I am sure they would catch him at it again.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine