Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forced Swim Test
This test has been around since the 70s. It has produced no useful information to help humans. How are we just hearing about it now. Why is it still going on.

https://www.peta.org/features/floriana-l...swim-test/

I am glad that Peta is doing an expose of this cruelty.
Every time I think the behavior of scientists has reached its lowest point someone shows me that some people's capacity for cruelty is bottomless.

The actions of groups like Peta are at least causing some scientists to rethink their work.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02133-2

The more I read about this test I wonder why it was ever considered useful. I see no link between a mouse/rat desperately swimming for its life and a human suffering from depression. The only thing I can think is that these scientists never actually met a depressed person.

Science has come up with some very strange tests that prove nothing at all. Worse they keep getting grants to do these tests over and over. If a fraction of the grant money was ever used for sensible research we would have had results and good treatments for many things years ago.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I have heard of this recently. I think it is horrendous. They think it is "scientific research" !
Having nearly drowned as a child, I had a chronic fear of swimming afterwards. I know what the fear feels like: the water in the lungs, the frantic struggling. It is appalling. It was only after Tamara's arrival in my life in my early forties that I overcame it (well, mostly, not totally!) by lots of gentle practice in the sea.

I started to watch the video and had to stop. It may me feel ill, watching the poor mice struggling and nearly drowning.

This is appalling cruelty. Even if it gave benefits to humans, I would be opposed to it on cruelty grounds. But....it doesn't produce any benefits at all! So this is mindless cruelty.
This is strange. I replied to this thread and my reply does not appear.

Quote:This is appalling cruelty. Even if it gave benefits to humans, I would be opposed to it on cruelty grounds. But....it doesn't produce any benefits at all! So this is mindless cruelty.
Quote:I have heard of this recently. I think it is horrendous. They think it is "scientific research" !

You are both right on point. It is stupid "research" that produces nothing but cruelty. Even if it had a lot of benefit for humans, the cruelty far outweighs any good it could produce.

After your experience LPC you would be the best person to judge how horrible this experiment would be for an animal.
Drowning is  very frightening. I am glad you have been able to overcome the fear enjoy to the sea.
It was not an easy video to watch, but for you it would have been too much.

I hope the pressure of groups like Peta will be enough to put an end to this. No more animals should be subjected to such extreme cruelty.
Catherine

I couldn't allow a fly to suffer like that.
I don't know how the so-called researchers could watch this, and not help the mice. They are "just mice" that's why.....oh my for the dreadful state of some humans.

I saw this test posted on another forum, and had to post that it hurt my Soul to read it. The people there can be very interested in new scientific research.
Even they (who are very discerning about such things) could not relate any benefit from this experiment to medical findings applicable to humans and the conditions being researched.

I am sorry you had that experience LPC. It must have been terrible. Thank goodness for the love Tamara shared, which helped you with that great fear.
We are always better with someone whose love and strength supports us.

Misty was afraid of water too, so you are in good company!
Quote: I saw this test posted on another forum, and had to post that it hurt my Soul to read it. The people there can be very interested in new scientific research.
Even they (who are very discerning about such things) could not relate any benefit from this experiment to medical findings applicable to humans and the conditions being researched.

This has been going on for years and no good results have ever been obtained.

[Image: 1b456630d17e8bc32f137707987cbec4.jpg]

Is this experiment not the best example of insanity we have seen so far?

It doesn't say much about scientists when so many are willing to do cruel things over and over with no actual results.
I just hope the efforts of Peta to make this public we be enough to stop it permanently.
Catherine