Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grand National
It began in 1839...

The course is over 4 miles long - over jumps too. So it is a trial of strength and endurance.
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Quote: The course is over 4 miles long - over jumps too. So it is a trial of strength and endurance.

It could still be a trial of strength and endurance without being so dangerous. Of course I am not really into the whole winning thing where winning is everything.(Hockey not included in that statement)
I wish the riders would go for a personal best and just run a good course.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The Grand National is like the FA Cup Final or Superbowl of racing, they all want to win it.

There is also a huge amount of betting on the outcome of the race and global television coverage, so it is not something that could be readily stopped.

AR groups have tried to disrupt it several times. There was a famous incident where there was a false start, an official ran onto the track with a flag to stop them but the jockeys thought he was a protester and just kept going!
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
I can see how important it is. It doesn't have to be so dangerous.

Hockey used to be more dangerous. Players did not wear helmets and face guards. Players got hurt, some badly. The players are better protected now and the game is safer, but the Stanley Cup is still the goal of every team and the games are still very exciting.

The National could be run with a little more regard to safety and it would still be an exciting race.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine