Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drowning risk for dogs
Someone in Edmonton took her dog, Max, to a park on the river. The dog just rushed off and ultimately headed for the water.
Sadly he was found drowned the next day.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/drowned-dog

Rivers and lakes are very different. A dog that can swim well in a lake can be overwhelmed by the currents in a river.
Every year dogs get swept away by currents and some drown. It is unfortunate that this story has a sad outcome. However the dog owner has tried to make something positive come from her grief. She has ordered a supply of dog life jackets. She is calling her initiative Woofs on Water. She plans to give out life jackets at the park by the river so other dogs can swim safely. She also has adopted a puppy. It doesn't replace Max or fill the space his passing has left. It does give a home to a dog in need. Jasper will create his own space in her life.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is sad I suppose dogs are like humans some are better in the water than others,the lifejackets are a good idea.
Also, like some humans, many dogs are used to swimming in a lake. They don't understand that a river is different.
Even some lakes are different and have treacherous off shore currents. Sadly dogs and people are lost every year because of this.
Catherine

How sad that happened to Max.
Dogs who love water don't think about any dangerous currents, and don't think about swimming down to areas where the banks might be too steep to climb out.

Of course, they don't know.

Yes, she has made something positive come out of a tragic accident, and a way to honour Max, by giving out the life jackets. That is an excellent idea.

Sometimes rivers can look quite calm on the surface, but just beneath, there is an undertow. There is a danger in letting dogs swim in rivers.

I had to pull an old lady's dog out once, who couldn't get up a steepish area of the  bank, because she had swum too far downstream. Fortunately she was okay, though exhausted.
Water is dangerous. We have a problem with people and animals swimming near hydroelectric generating dams. There can be sudden undercurrents that will pull anyone straight down.  All rivers should be considered dangerous until you talk to someone who knows the river.
I remember you saying you saved a dog from a river. Dogs don't realize that banks can be steep further down from where they went into the water. That dog was lucky that you came along when you did.

I am glad the woman is making something good come from her loss. With her efforts she could save the lives of many dogs. The life jackets are a great idea. Just making people aware of the danger is a big help too.

Every year some dogs die in accidents that could have been prevented. I hope this year people will hear about this and keep their dogs safe from drowning.
Catherine

I am not blaming that poor woman who lost Max to the water. She loved him very much, and is doing her best to raise awareness, and safety precautions for dogs on that unpredictable river.

But I think very often, humans don't understand rivers, or bodies of water very well. They may not know about undertows and currents. They may not be aware of steeper banks further down or up river. They may assume that their dogs are "water dogs", and strong swimmers, and have swum there before.

That is what happened with the nice old lady and her young, strong dog. That dog had swum in the river lots of times. That day when Misty and I happened along was the one day the dog decided to swim further downstream. The old lady was not helping either, as she was following the dog instead of going back to the place where the dog entered the water, and calling from there.

But yeah....Misty and I became locally famous for "saving Maggie." Misty helped of course, by just being there and giving k9 moral support....but she was river-phobic (sensible girl!)
Quote:I am not blaming that poor woman who lost Max to the water. She loved him very much, and is doing her best to raise awareness, and safety precautions for dogs on that unpredictable river.
She didn't know the river was dangerous and Max didn't know the river was dangerous. They were just out for a day of fun in a city park.

Quote:But I think very often, humans don't understand rivers, or bodies of water very well. They may not know about undertows and currents. They may not be aware of steeper banks further down or up river. They may assume that their dogs are "water dogs", and strong swimmers, and have swum there before.
This is true. People don't understand water. I grew up near a river and we were told not to go into the water because it had strong under currents. On the surface it looked so calm. The water was cloudy so you couldn't see how deep it was or where the currents were.
I nearly drowned when I visited Alberta. I cut across a stream that was clear to the bottom. I assumed that meant it was shallow and safe to cross.  When the water got up to my chest I just had to keep going because turning back would have been more risky. I also had a non swimmer in the water with me and I had to get her to safety. I learned to be much more careful around rivers. If you don't know don't go.

Sadly people usually learn about rivers after an accident. What happened to Max was an unfortunate accident. Even strong swimmers can get into trouble in a river.

Misty was a smart dog. She had enough sense to stay out of the water. Maggie was one lucky dog. It is not often you get to actually save someone like that.
Catherine