Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our first cria!
We went into the field today and found a surprise! Jenny and Denny had their first offspring! We think that the cria is a girl, but we didn't look too closely in order not to upset the mother-cria bonding on their first day together. They both look happy and healthy. Here is a photo:
[Image: Denny,%20Jenny%20and%20new%20cria%20(opt).jpg]
Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart  

WOW!!
That is the most beautiful baby I have ever seen. 
I didn't even know you were expecting a Cria. What a great name for a baby Alpaca,  I have never heard the term. Is it just baby Alpacas that are crias or does it apply to similar species.

Congratulations to Jenny and Denny. I must say Jenny is a very attentive and alert mom. 
I am surprized at the colour. It is very different from the parents.
What an amazing surprize for you. Enjoy watching your little cria. I am sure it will be very entertaining to watch the little one grow and change. 

Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Very cute.
Thank you. The term cria is only used for alpacas, llamas and their wild counterparts.

Our young lady did her first leaps this morning and seems to be enjoying life. It has been very windy here.
She is so cute. Watching her leap around must be so entertaining.  
Her colour makes her look like she is wearing woolly dark pajamas over her lighter coat.

Cria is a very unique word. It must have a South American origin. Maybe it is Spanish in origin.
It does suit the baby to call her a cria.

Keep us posted on her progress. This is our first cria too.
Catherine

She is lovely, LPC. You must be very happy to have such a nice little girl cria as an addition to the family ! Heart Congratulations.

Next....you will have to come up with a name for her. Do either you or Tamara have any ideas?

What a little sweetie. She has such long elegant legs as well. Bless her.
We have chosen the name Stella.
Stella is a beautiful name. I have a good friend and neighbour called Stella and she is a very fine person.
I take it your little cria is a girl. She is lovely. Will she stay the same colour. I don't know much about alpaca babies.
She is a good size for a newborn. Will she nurse for some months or does she start eating grass soon.

I look forward to seeing her grow and hearing about how she is doing.
Catherine

Oh...Stella ! What a nice name ! Angel  A name from the stars Heart 

Now you didn't know this, LPC, but all the time my mother was pregnant with me, my parents chose the name "Stella" for me (if I turned out to be a girl, because in those days they had no way of telling).
It was after I was born and they took a look at me, that they decided on the name "Sylvia" instead, because it means "from the woods". I think they were right about that. I always loved the woods and spent so much time there.

And that is a coincidence Smiley4
That is interesting about your name. Stella is a beautiful name and perfect for the little cria.
Sylvia is a better name for you. How did they know it was such a good match. You are a bit of a woodland creature. 
You don't just spend time in the woods. You fit in when you are there and walk peacefully without disturbing things.

I guess we somehow end up with the name we should have.
Catherine