Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Paralysis linked to raw chicken consumption in dogs.
It seems that there is a risk of dogs contracting Campylobacter from raw diets which include raw chicken. The  bacteria can have devastating and even fatal effects

https://v-dog.com/blogs/v-dog-blog/raw-c...dium=Email

Quoted from the above source:

"In a 2018 study conducted at University of Melbourne’s U-Vet Werribee Animal Hospital, dogs consuming raw chicken meat were 70 times more likely to develop a paralyzing condition called acute polyradiculoneuritis (APN). The paralysis begins in a dog's hind legs, spreading to the front legs, head, neck and face. If the chest is affected, death can result."

The raw diet for dogs has been considered the best natural diet but it is not without risks.

"....Dr. le Chevoir says that the "raw meat" feeding trend is concerning, given the risks of Campylobacter infection and APN....."
This is not good. A raw diet can put a number of people at risk. The food is contaminated so whoever feeds the dog is at risk. Anywhere in the home where the food is handled is at risk of being contaminated.
Now we find that the dogs can develop paralysis.

This is typical. Someone got the idea that raw food is best for dogs. It became a trend and lots of people are buying raw dog food. No studies were ever done to see if it is safe. There have been no follow up surveys of the dogs now on the diet. People need to think this over. It is safer to feed a cooked product. 

I hope people see this warning and reconsider the raw food diet. It would be so sad to have a pet develop paralysis because of something we chose to do.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I always cooked Misty's meat and fish, and added vegetables to it. She was very healthy and well on cooked food. I gave her some organic holistic kibble also because she liked the "crunch" of it, and I knew it had other ingredients which dogs need.
I made sure her chicken was cooked to human standards. Also if ever she had Pork, I did the same.
A few times I tried her with a little raw lean minced steak  and she ate it, but didn't even seem to enjoy it as much as the cooked version.

It's argued that dogs in the wild eat raw prey. Of course they do. They have no choice, for one thing. They can't decide to start cooking their meat.
Another thing is that wild dogs (for one reason and another) do not live as long, and who knows what health problems they get?
Dogs in the wild also eat raw food that they  just killed. The meat we get is not safe to eat raw. The whole process of factory farming and the slaughterhouse methods and the way food is shipped and handled should be a warning to us about raw food. Meat for human consumption is being recalled all the time. There are announcements about food recalls often enough to tell us that meat is not safe to eat raw. Why would you feed it to your dog if it is not safe for you?

You were wise in the way you cared for Misty. She ate well and her food was healthy. 
I can understand not wanting to use canned dog foods. They have problems. Cooking your own dog food is a safe idea. But it is safe because the food is cooked. Raw meat is not safe.

I did not realize how unsafe it is. People are risking too much because of a trendy idea.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine