Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Six Canadian Rescues that welcome visitors
I have only ever heard of one of these rescues. Everyone around here knows about Esther the Wonder Pig and the Happily Ever Esther sanctuary. The other sanctuaries are less well known, but clearly doing much needed rescue work. Letting the public in helps them with their work and provides good publicity.

https://o.canada.com/travel/6-canadian-s...e-visitors

I was surprized to learn that we have a Wold Dog Sanctuary. I understand the Wolf Dog problem is fall out from Game Of Thrones the way numerous unwanted chihuahuas were the result of the movie Beverly Hills Chihuahua. People see it in a movie or on TV and they want one.

Of course we need a chimp sanctuary. There are still retired research animals around that need good care. I am just glad to hear that they have a privately run sanctuary to care for them. I wouldn't want these animals in a facility run by the  people who used them as lab animals in the first place.

The donkey sanctuary is also a surprize. I did not know we had a significant donkey population in Canada. It is not an animal I have ever seen around.

It is good to know there are two farm animal sanctuaries. Certainly we need them.

I know of other sanctuaries, but these ones make a point of being open to the public. Since we continue to use animals we will always need sanctuaries to care for animals  that some humans have failed to care for.
If being open to the public gets someone to rethink the idea of a wolf dog as a pet, then they have done a good thing for the wolf dogs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Canada has done really well. It's good to see so many animals are being respected and given some hope and peace.

I am glad to see Wolf dogs have good care too. It's awful that a dog, Wolf or whatever can become a "fashion item"; an accessory for a person's vanity and ignorance.

We have Donkey Sanctuaries in UK. But I hardly ever see a Donkey on my travels about anywhere.

In the 80s and 90s there used to be a Donkey living at the end of my lane, on the land an old couple owned. When the old man died, and his wife  moved into town, the Donkey was taken to a Sanctuary somewhere not far away I think.
There are some really good rescues, shelters and rescue programs happening in Canada. 

There is a special turtle rescue to help our native turtles.

https://www.mykawartha.com/community-sta...uma-centre

This is one of many rescues that specialize in a particular kind of animal.
We need rescues for wildlife and for abandoned/unwanted pets. We have both in need in some places.

I can see why you would have donkey sanctuaries in the UK. You have used donkeys for various things over the years. Donkeys were used for giving rides weren't they. They were used in coal mining too.

I am glad your neighbour's donkey went to a sanctuary, but it is too bad you don't get to see him around. Donkeys are sweet. I seldom ever see one. I think they were not used as much as horses. We do have horses.
I hope we have horse sanctuaries. We certainly need them.

The wolf dog thing is so sad. The dogs in the TV show were trained performers. We only saw the image the show wanted us to see.
The real wolf dogs could never measure up to the imaginary relationship the dogs in the show had. So right from the start people are going to be disappointed in their pet. I think wolf dogs are not a simple pet to live with. They would have a lot of energy and they would require an experienced dog owner.  Anyone with enough experience would know not to get a wolf dog.

If they can't rehome them, I hope they can at least give them good lives.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine