Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squirrels listen to birds
Researchers studying animal behavior have determined that squirrels literally listen to bird chatter. When birds are chattering amongst themselves and singing calmly squirrels relax and carry on with life. If the birds are reacting to danger the squirrels respond to the birds reaction.

https://phys.org/news/2019-09-squirrels-...afety.html

This makes sense. A squirrel on its own would be in a constant state of alarm. There are so many dangers. The poor squirrel would hardly find time to eat. Birds usually gather in numbers and they do collectively watch for danger. That way they don't all have to be on high alert all the time. Squirrels are smart enough to take advantage of that. 

This really fits my bird feeder observations. The squirrels could eat at the feeder any time, but they seem to prefer eating when the birds are there.

This makes me wonder how many other species help each other out like this. We expect members of the same species in a flock or herd to watch out for each other. How many other species take advantage of that in different situations. I have observed that with my lizards. I have a tank of different kinds of lizards together and they are more relaxed when they realize that they are not alone.
When safety is shared it is easier for everyone.

I wonder how the birds feel about the squirrels?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I can vouch for that ! Smiley4 
When Koori and Georgie start "asking" for their breakfast from the electricity pole (usually when I am still in the bathroom) I hear Squirrels getting mobilised.
When I go out to give the Crows their treat, Squirrels are in the Hazel trees....on the off-chance Crows might forget something.... 79
I suspect a lot of animals listen to each other and watch each other. 
Koori is clever and resourceful. Koori learned to listen to you and watch you. The birds are smart enough to see you feed Koori and even the neatest eater leaves some crumbs. I am sure they get something for all their waiting. And you never know, Koori might not be hungry some day and might leave the whole thing.

I have watched other birds watching each other. If the bigger pigeons are fighting over some large bit of food, the little birds gather because they can pick-up the scraps.

When it comes to safety, relying on other birds to watch for you makes life easier. If you have to be watching in all directions all the time it is just too tiring. The stress would wear you down.  It makes sense for other birds to rely on each other. Clever animals like squirrels would realize that the birds are reliable and they could make life easier by relying on them. I wonder how many other animal dependencies their are. In the woods deer and other larger animals would be able to listen for the birds and know it is safe if the birds say it is safe. If the birds spot a predator their alert to each other would be an alert to a deer as well. Nature knows how to look after itself and make life easier.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine