Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zoo provides palliative care for girafe
Not all zoos are like the infamous Copenhagen Zoo.

The Topeka Zoo has an aging giraffe. Clearly he is not on display any more. He is a lot of work to look after, but they are doing the best they can for him. He has been their proud herd leader for years and they feel he deserves the best they can give him now that the end is near.
http://cjonline.com/news/2014-03-26/tope...-life-care

They even have a younger male to replace him, but they are not letting that influence how they care for Jesse. They know he only has a short time left, but they are doing the best they can with that time.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am glad they are looking after him. This is touching. It is so right, too.

Laminitis is a tricky foot/hoof problem. It sometimes is very hard to cure. But it seems they have done well, in overcoming that (fingers and toes crossed!)
This is how it should be with the animals in our lives. We enjoy them when they are young and strong so we should be there when they are old.
I know they can't fix the fact that Jesse is old, but as you say, they are doing a good job with the Laminitis.

I think more zoos are like Topeka Zoo. There are few as cold and uncaring as Copenhagen Zoo.
Catherine

I know they have a vet on staff who is evaluating his condition and they are working on keeping him comfortable. If they can't do that they will consider euthanizing him as an act of mercy.

He is not on display or being used for breeding.(They already have a young male) They are working with him to give him the best care and any decisions made will be in his best interests. It is never an easy decision to end an animal's life, but they will do what is best because the do care about Jesse.
Catherine