Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescuing Romainian Dogs
There is a serious stray dog problem in Romania. The roots of it go back 30 years ago when people were forced by the government to abandon their animals. Stray dogs are not valued and are rounded up and treated cruelly and killed. 

British TV stars have gotten involved in trying to do something to help the dogs. There is now a show called Brits Recue Romanian Dogs. It presents the plight of Romanian dogs to the public and show cases the work of Paws2rescue a group that is doing something about it. Since their founding in 2013 they have rescued over 2000 dogs.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/lif...ky-gervais

It is good to see the work being done to undo the stray problem generated by the Ceausescu regime.  Thirty years of stray dogs on the streets is a problem that has grown. As one of the stars put it, they spend the money to round up the dogs instead of using the money to neuter them. Gathering up dogs and killing them every year does not even decrease their numbers. Neutering and rehoming the dogs will eventually bring the situation under control. I hope the TV series will generate interest in Romanian dogs and increase the numbers that can be rescued. The dogs didn't ask for what happened to them. They certainly didn't deserve the way they were treated. The past can't be changed, but finding the stray dogs permanent homes does give them a brighter future.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is good to know people are helping those poor dogs. The dogs have gone from being abandoned, to being tortured and killed, whichever regime they live under. It's truly horrific, and I hope the effort these people are putting in will turn things for the better for the dogs.
It will be a big job to rescue all the dogs in need, but Paws2rescue have already rescued 2000 dogs. If they keep up the work and other groups join them, they will eventually have the problem under control. It is previous generations that created stray problems in Romania and other countries. It is the people working now that will solve it. There are dedicated people in many places who are helping rescue dogs. I find it very encouraging to hear about the work they do.
Catherine

2000 dogs rescued is good. They need to rescue many more and their intelligent way of dealing with the stray problem will hopefully cut down numbers of strays
The coverage these British stars are giving the dogs is so good. I know Ricky Gervais campaigns a lot to help dogs all over the world, and has done for years.
Stars have a lot of ability to influence things. When they focus on rescuing animals and other good causes they can make a real difference. Someone like Ricky Gervais can bring the publicity they need to rescue the Romanian dogs. It could take years to get the problem under control. I hope that the progress being made will be enough to stop the cruel killing that has taken place. The publicty from a star might be enough to change things.
Catherine