Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pets of the Titanic
It is coming up on the 102 anniversary of the Titanic. I never thought about it, but there were pets on the ship when she went down. Few were saved.

http://agraveinterest.blogspot.ca/2014/0...tanic.html

Sad that animals were not thought of, but many of their owners died as well. How clever of the one woman to wrap her dog up like a baby and therefore save her life.

Interesting that the ship's cat moved out before the voyage. Cats always seem to know things.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What a fascinating article Catherine, thanks for posting it. I hadn't seen this before.
It's amazing that cat took her kittens off the ship just before it set sail....
We do sometimes hear of people who just before a doomed flight, suddenly change their minds about travelling, or get suddenly taken ill, etc.
Clever cat!

It's tragic of course, about all those who perished, including the animals, but some made it, thanks to the ingenuity of their caretakers! That lady carrying her dog like a baby wrapped n a blanket was a good move! As they surely would have been barred from taking a dog on the lifeboat! (even a very small one like a Pom.)
I never even thought about people having their pets on the Titanic.

I had heard the story of the Great Dane and the owner who refused to leave him. Clever woman to wrap her dog. They were not allowing any animals on the life boats. Of course they weren't to good about third class passengers either.

I agree with the man who refused to sail when he found put that the cat left the ship. Sometimes animals and people just have a sense, an instinct for self preservation. If all the animals start to react, I would take it seriously. Too bad they didn't have a dog as a lookout for icebergs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine