Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passenger Pigeon-100 years of extinction
It has been a hundred years since humans drove the passenger pigeon to extinction.
Sadly the last bird, Martha, ended her days alone at Cincinnati Zoo one hundred years ago. The Zoo has a memorial to her and her species. It is also is commemorating the loss.

In some ways the loss of the passenger pigeon made people aware and saved other species that were close to extinction. It triggered the movement to save endangered species.

So sad as Martha's death was, since it was actually the death of a whole species, it was not for nothing. Her death saved other species. So Martha is gone, but not forgotten.Smiley19
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I didn't know about Martha, and the extinction of this Pigeon. It is a good thing that it woke us up to the awareness of species going extinct.
I am glad they still honour Martha.
Now I am really determined to visit Cincinnati Zoo. There is so much happening there and I would like to see the passenger pigeon display.

I think there are a number of species that we have saved because we woke up in time. Our North American Bison were almost wiped out. Now there are herds of them
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine