Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving pets left behind during the Manitoba storm
Manitoba has been hit by a serious early snow storm. This storm has been worse because it is heavy wet snow that has brought down trees and powerlines. People in remote northern communities had to be evacuated, but pets were left behind. Save a Dog Network has mobilized to get food to these pets. Pet Value has donated food and Save a Dog Network has taken the food to these animals. Without this help many pets would have died. Over 300 pets have been reached.

https://winnipeg.citynews.ca/video/2019/...the-storm/

I always find it amazing that no matter what the disaster someone steps up to save the animals involved.
It was hard enough to get around in the aftermath of the storm. It takes real dedication to go into evacuated areas to feed pets in need.
There are  many heroes out there. These people are some of them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

They are doing wonderful work, to go and help these animals left alone.
But AGAIN !! The situation of evacuating humans, who are then forced to leave their animals behind ! Why? Because people have to be temporarily accommodated? Why aren't those accommodations open to the idea of the people taking their animal companions with them?

This is such a heartache and a worry for people. And of course there will be those who refuse, and put their own lives in danger perhaps, during a crisis.

There has to be a new way!
But meanwhile how good that the animals have someone to help them.
Quote:But AGAIN !! The situation of evacuating humans, who are then forced to leave their animals behind ! Why? Because people have to be temporarily accommodated? Why aren't those accommodations open to the idea of the people taking their animal companions with them?

That was my thought. Why didn't they evacuate the pets with the people? We have to start doing that. Leaving pets behind is risky for the pets  and it means that others have to come in and rescue them. Of course we don't know the whole story, but it does sound  like the animals were just left behind.

During the Fort McMurray wildfire people were trapped away from their homes  and couldn't reach their pets. Many of the pets were safe and rescue people went in and fed them. 

It is possible that people were evacuated from work or school because of the storm. I have seen Manitoba storms that leave people trapped at work for days. If the weather is that bad I make sure I stay home with my animals just in case. If the power goes out I need to be there.

Save a Dog Network was ready and organized so they may have done something like this before. The remote communities are really at the mercy of the weather.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine