Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Cook for Your Pets Day
This is a national pet day that I have never heard of. I like the idea though. The focus of the day is to produce a home cooked meal for your pets.
We all love a home cooked meal, everything made just the way we like it. Maybe our pets would like the same thing. You could add all your pets favourite foods and serve it on a nice dish.

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national...ovember-1/

None of my pets  eat cooked food. Does it count that I made my guinea pigs fresh cut salads. Boris likes his cucumbers cut thicker, but he is not big on carrots. Larry and Joey like big carrot slices, but not so much cucumber. I can do special orders.
My boys get "home cooked" salads everyday. They have their own dishes and they are always happy to get their freshly made meal.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well....I am a few days late here Smiley4 

No I don't think Piggies like cooked food. They are happy with their salads ! I think preparing a nice healthy salad has to count.

It's nice to have a special day for "cooking a meal for your pet."

But cats and dogs especially, love a home cooked meal. Sally did like a bit of cooked chicken, but was a bit fussy, and preferred the pouches of "cat soup" I bought from the supermarket, with shrimp and herring, or chicken !

Once I w ent to a lot of trouble to steam Sally some Plaice, and Haddock together, and half of it she left!

Misty got a home cooked meal every day (with some kibble on the side because she loved the crunch of it) Every week or two I would buy a whole batch of meat/fish, and cook her a week or two's worth, with vegetables, to store in the freezer in portion sizes.
Then all I had to do was not forget to bring each meal out in time for it to de-frost Smiley16 

She loved her home cooked dinners. But I also knew she was getting the specific vitamins and minerals a dog needed from her kibble also (which was a high quality one.)

But it is possible to buy a supplement (either from the vet or a good pet store) which can be added to dogs' and cats' meals, if they eat only home cooked food.
Given the number of pet food recalls and the sometimes fatal causes of the recalls, I can see why a dog or cat person would cook for their pet. 
You always knew that Misty was getting the best food possible and she enjoyed it. Even thought she was very fussy, I am sure Sally Cat enjoyed your meals. She was just too independent to let on.

I carefully cut the vegetables to the right size and make each salad special so I know my piggies like what they get and I know they are getting enough vitamin C.  I can buy vitamin C supplements or foods with the vitamins in them. Then I have to worry if they have eaten enough and has it gotten too old. When I give them good fresh vegetables every day(twice a day actually) I know they are getting enough and they are so happy to have fresh carrots, cucumbers, peppers, kale and anything else I have as a treat.

Premade pet foods are a convenience, but home made is always better.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine