Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Escondido allows pet Alpacas to stay
A woman in Escondido California  has two pet alpacas. Things were fine until a neighbour complained. It turns out that city bylaws consider them to be cows and cows are not allowed. People signed petitions and raised money for permits and the city council voted to let the Alpacas stay.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/C...26391.html

It is nice when a pet owner has a happy ending. I am sure the Alpacas were no real problem for the neighbours. The fact that so many people supported their staying tells us they were actually loved by most of the neighbours.
I hope they have a long and happy life in Escondido. I wish my neighbours had beautiful pets like that.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

A happy ending! That's a nice story.
I thought you would like it.
Catherine

BTW, it was reported that one neighbour complained about noise and flies. Alpacas are exceptionally quiet animals, only making a gentle humming noise sometimes. They do not whinny like horses or bleat like sheep. The only real noise is the cry of danger (a screeching sound), but this would only happen extremely rarely if they sensed danger (e.g. a wolf). But given that they were in an urban environment, this seems highly unlikely. Regarding flies, alpaca droppings are small pellets, semi-dry (a bit like those of sheep). They always do their droppings in a few piles, not all over the place like sheep. So their caretaker could easily collect them for manure storage, in a sealed container if necessary, then use it for the back garden.
I wondered about that. Alpacas are a quiet gentle animal and the neighbour is one of those annoying people who complain about nothing.
There would be pleasant noises and some very easy to care for natural fertilizer from the alpacas. Guinea pigs are noisier and make more mess. I am glad she got to keep her alpacas. They are beautiful creatures.
Catherine