Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polar Bear spray painted with graffiti
A polar bear was spotted in Russia with graffiti spay painted on its side. This is actually a serious issue. The black paint could prevent the bear from camouflaging against the snow. This would make hunting for food harder and the bear could starve. 
There is already a problem with hungry bears  coming inland to feed in human garbage dumps. Bear human interactions are a real concern in some Russian towns.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6253038/polar-bear-graffiti/

I hope they can help the bear. However he was tagged, he doesn't deserve to starve because of it.

People really want to see polar bears. They are willing to pay money to go places where they can see polar bears.
There are towns that are having invasions of hungry bears.  It just seems that there is an opportunity here to help the bears and help the towns.
They could set up ecotourism expeditions to see the bears. The money could be used to feed the bears and help the towns protect themselves. I don't know how it could be done, but I am sure there are people who have all the details figured out.

If they set up a bear feeding station the bears would hang around there. Tourists could be brought in in safe vehicles or brought in by helicopter. Accommodations could be built. Tourists spend money so the area would be helped financially. I know the idea of tourists is annoying, but ecotourism has helped keep some endangered species alive.  Because of ecotourism, the mountain gorillas are more valuable alive than poached. The same animal can be viewed many times and people pay each time. If that is what it would take to keep polar bears alive, it would be worth it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine