Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet sitting service fails to care for pets
Many people had their vacations ruined by fear that their pets were not being cared for. They weren't. Kitty Home Care did not carry out its commitments. Animals were left unfed and there seems to have been an inappropriate use of people's homes. Drug paraphernalia were left behind in a couple of places. It was fortunate that no animals were lost. In one case a dripping tap was the reason the cat survived.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/i-ruined-some-vaca...-1.4753764

Leaving your pets is a scary thing for a pet owner. There is always a fear that the pet will not be cared for. I have always relied on  someone I personally know, who also personally knows my pets. When I pet sit, it is always for a friend and/or neighbour and it is always a pet or pets that I personally know. I am motivated to care for the pet because I have a bond with that  pet.  The people who come into my place already know my pets and they are motivated to care for them.

I am not sure about pet sitting services. Maybe some of them are good. I would not feel too safe leaving strangers in charge of my pets. I think a lesson here is that people should have a backup at home who could at least check on the pets. It would have been obvious that the cat wasn't being fed because the cans had not been opened. Where there is a concierge he could have called them when no pet sitter showed up. Maybe it would have been better to have someone in the building care for the cat.  If you use a pet sitting service make sure they have a back up if they get ill. 
It is too easy to trust someone you don't really know because they have a business. It would be better to do more research on the company. Even a boarding facility might be safer. At least you know someone will be there every day. It might be more stressful for a cat, but it would be safer than someone who fails to show up.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine